Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after going to all the trouble of setting up my car with aerials for phone, CBs etc, here comes a discovery I should have made before.

RF Industries manufacture thru-glass aerials for UHF comms including a few for the 477MHz range. This means you can have a CB and not have to mount aerials on your guards etc.

The cops etc use model number AP453 but this is a poor performer and is being discontinued. It lloks like a cell phone aerial so it is good for unmarked cars etc.

I have ordered the AP454-71.5G which is for 470-490MHz and has two whips which can be swapped over. The first is a unity gain straight whip of 230mm and the second is a 3dB gain whip of 871mm. this means you can run the short whip around town etc and fit the long whip for longer range applications such as country driving.

For your GSM cell phone car kit, get a hold of the E-Glass antenna from RFI - you will be amazed with the difference from the cheap stuff you get from most places. Or if you want hidden, try the Quadrant version which also works A1.

I'm not trying to sell this stuff, just that it's an Aussie company and I am impressed with their quality and performance.

See it all at www.rfindustries.com.au

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thanks mate I'll check them out. BTW latest on strobes?

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FTEfan said:
Thanks mate I'll check them out. BTW latest on strobes?
I haven't done it yet but Laminge is flashing away merrily! Drop him a line - they fitted the strobes like I was planning - in the indicator lenses front and rear.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HSE2 said:
Talk about ways of avoid speed traps well this has to be the number one option.
You bet. If anyone is thinking of going for CBs, you should seriously bypass 27MHz and go for the 477MHz equipment. Longer range, smaller aerials, better and smaller radios. Best stuff is at www.gme.net.au - like the TX3200 or TX3400. The 3400 can be programmed to give extra channels including Police etc. That way you can listen to them direct!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts