Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, last friday I was taking Thanatos for a ride in the ol' crate and we were going down a backstreet near Rmyers' place when it just died. Turned out there was no spark. So I got my old man to tow it home, and as this exact same thing happened to Mrs. Goodz' EA, which turned out to be the dizzy shitting itself, I thought I would change the dizzy too without checking the coil. Lazy me.

Anyway, I changed the dizzy, and still no spark. So we checked the coil, and no spark. Luckily though I had a spare brand new coil in the garage. So we just plugged it in without mounting it just to make sure it worked, and what do you know, it started.

Now obviously I couldn't leave the coil there the way it was, so I put the crate up on the ramps, and removed the top bolt without too much difficulty. I then rolled under the car, and maneuovered my arms around the pipes and wiring and undid the bottom bolt. I removed the coil. Now the hard part.

Getting the new coil in there was a bit of a bitch. After I managed to get it into position, with one hand holding the coil, I tried placing the bottom bolt in place, and while doing so I dropped, and I never found it again. So I thought I'd just attach the top bolt. While I was under the car trying to hold the coil, my old man was looking into the engine bay trying to get the bolt in its hole. We couldn't line the bolt with its hole properly and so the bolt wouldn't go in. Then we dropped the bolt and couldn't find it.

This is where I had a brainwave idea, and I thought I'd mount the coil in a more accessible location. I decided it to attach it to one of the intake manifold bolts, and pull the wires up through the manifold and attach it that way. I needed a longer high tension lead so I bought one, and this is the end product. I had to lengthen the radio suppressor wire so I could get it up far enough and turn it around, but other than that its easy as buggery. Works perfectly, and I won't have problems changing it next time :)

Alex

E

·
0 Posts
Haha, looks very nice Alex, well done.

I remember changing my leads, what a bitch.

·
Registered
847 Posts
hehehe love that rocker cover dude.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
this mans full of ideas :)
looks like a good idea tooo

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It works because it doesn't take the ground from the bracket, it gets it from the wiring loom. I'm gonna make a better bracket it for it later so it doesn't look so dodgy, but for now it'll do, it runs!

Alex

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
not to be a downer but you should never put anything that sparks so close to something that carries fuel...seeming how you extended the connector you have done the hard part, anyhow we used to put them behind the top of the airbox on our ED's using the bolt hole for the airbox base and 1/2 the factory bracket.. that way when you steam clean the engine bay its a sinch to remove the coil before you start

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ignition coil is like right underneath the manifold and fuel rail anyway, I don't see the problem. There is no spark emitted there, the spark is transferred from there to the spark plugs, so its not an issue.

Alex

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
but if it arcs out it arcs staight onto the fuel rail? Seems chancey at best when you could put it anywhere away from the rail and fuel inlet...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts