Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other night i was driving on the highway and out of nowhere i lost power. not electronically, but i lost power when i pressed on the gas. the car started missing and backfiring lightly. i got off the next exit and at the stop sign, the car stalled. i easily started it again, but it idled VERY rough and still backfired lightly- and would stall again if i didn't maintain a little gas at stops. the car cranks and starts, and sometimes it'll run for a minute or two before it stalls. other times it will stall after just a few seconds of me not pushing the gas pedal.

i researched as much as i could and i'm having a hard time figuring out if it's the coil or the cat. converter.

some of the symptoms of a bad converter are present...i can hear a light "ping" under the driver's side when the car is running rough, which a friend told me is my cat converter rattling around.?

however, the symptoms of a bad ignition coil are very similar as well.

not sure which to start on-- is there a sure way to test failure in one or the other?

thanks in advance for any advice what so ever..

·
Registered
19 Posts
the other night i was driving on the highway and out of nowhere i lost power. not electronically, but i lost power when i pressed on the gas. the car started missing and backfiring lightly. i got off the next exit and at the stop sign, the car stalled. i easily started it again, but it idled VERY rough and still backfired lightly- and would stall again if i didn't maintain a little gas at stops. the car cranks and starts, and sometimes it'll run for a minute or two before it stalls. other times it will stall after just a few seconds of me not pushing the gas pedal.

i researched as much as i could and i'm having a hard time figuring out if it's the coil or the cat. converter.

some of the symptoms of a bad converter are present...i can hear a light "ping" under the driver's side when the car is running rough, which a friend told me is my cat converter rattling around.?

however, the symptoms of a bad ignition coil are very similar as well.

not sure which to start on-- is there a sure way to test failure in one or the other?

thanks in advance for any advice what so ever..
The symptoms of a bad catalytic converter are pretty obvious: do you smell the tall tale rotten egg smell whenever your car is running? Are you experiencing diminished fuel-mileage as of late? Is your check engine light on? Often times a bad catalytic converter could foul your o2 sensor as well, thereby triggering the check engine light to come on.

It could very well be your ignition coil as well. The ignition coil in the Probe is somewhat of a poorly designed unit and is prone to foul up in a relatively short amount of time. I've had to replace countless ignition coils for my customer's cars in the past decade or so and I can testify that it's about a $45 part at such OEM Ford parts sites as fordpartsgiant.com. Therefore replacing it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Keep us abreast on the situation!

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
If you rule out the coild I would check or replace the plug leads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts