Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a 1987 Ford Econoline with the 5.8l V-8. The ignition cylinder got stuck so I replaced it. Upon replacing it and turning the key I get 0 feedback. In accessory, there are no dash lights, and when turning the key to the run and start position the key will remain there. There is no spring back. I initially thought the battery but all the interior lights in the rear of the van turn on and after charging the battery with a battery charger there was no change. Is there any ideas on what could be the issue?

·
Super Moderator
9,213 Posts
There's not much to them, you may either have a bad ignition switch (yup, it's new, but it's why they warranty them) or the key isn't cut quite right. Unless they changed how they did things by 1987, not all of the teeth are part of the locking mechanism, if the one that moves the switch for the aux isn't aligned right, you won't get aux power. I've never tested this, was explained by a buddy who took a locksmith course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's not much to them, you may either have a bad ignition switch (yup, it's new, but it's why they warranty them) or the key isn't cut quite right. Unless they changed how they did things by 1987, not all of the teeth are part of the locking mechanism, if the one that moves the switch for the aux isn't aligned right, you won't get aux power. I've never tested this, was explained by a buddy who took a locksmith course.
thank you I will try a different switch !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts