Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ive got a problem with my xa 4 door which i think is the ignition switch. u turn the car on and it will run fine sometimes for 30 seconds sometime for 1 minute and then it will just turn off out of no where and then wont start or sometimes will start im just wondering if it cud be the switch and if there is any way to test it? ive droped the colum and got the cover off and wondering if theres any way to even take the switch out from the back?

· Go the GT's
651 Posts
Grab a complete second hand one from where ever u can, either borrow or buy one and try it. If symptoms same, then u know thats not it. On the XA ones they have the plug into the loom, connect test one here. The only other removable bit (to my knowledge) is the ignition key barrel itself. I think it was the XD on ones that u could remove the electric switch itself.

· old B - new B
873 Posts
the XBs ( and i guess the XA would be the same ) have a removable contact module that fits into the back of the ignition switch assembly.

this is the part with the wires going into it and is a round metal container thing.
from memory it is held in with a circlip at the back.

the one in my XB had a spas attack several years ago and i know of a couple of others that have had trouble.

dont like your chances of getting a new one.
if you know of any old cars sitting around i would be paying them a visit.

· Registered
2,324 Posts
nassi said:
Are you using an imobiliser? I have had similar probs in the past and it ended up being the immobiliser modle, bad joints on the PCB.
nassi
Tell me about it! My dodgy immobiliser connections would randomly shut my car down whilst driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.