Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new starter, new solenoid and when I connect my negative cable back up to the battery the starter turns over and over. With the old solenoid, the starter did nothing, even when I tried it with the new starter. But with the new solenoid the starter turns over and doesn't stop until I disconnect the negative. First thing I did when my 89 Taurus wouldn't start was to replace the solenoid. The parts guys said because the starter wouldn't stop that I needed a new starter. Now he's telling me I need an ignition switch. I have no idea where this is and if I can even do it myself. I had no problem with the solenoid and starter so I guess there is hope. The parts guy said he would change it for me but I think he has something else in mind. Please help. I'm just a college student away from home with no one to help.

Thanks for any help,
Kara

·
1,836 Posts
Disconnect the trigger wire on the solenoid (The small wire that just pushes on and reconnect the battery. If the engine still cranks you have a bad solenoid. If it still cranks then you have either a bad ignition switch, or you hooked up the solenoid wrong. If you have the positive cable from the battery and the cable from the starter hooked onto the same post this will happen. The cable from the battery goes to one side and the other to the starter goes on the other. Good luck!!!

U

·
0 Posts
If the engine still cranks you have a bad solenoid. If it still cranks then you have either a bad ignition switch, or you hooked up the solenoid wrong? The solenoid is installed right. When the small wire is disconnected, the starter still turns over to crank.

Thanks,
Kara

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the engine still cranks you have a bad solenoid. If it still cranks then you have either a bad ignition switch, or you hooked up the solenoid wrong. (?) The solenoid is installed properly, check it several times to be sure. When the small wire is not connected it still turns the starter.

Thanks
Kara

1 - 4 of 4 Posts