Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, let me say hello to everybody out there in Ford land. I've owned a few classic Ford's over the years and I've loved every single one of them (even when they've let me down!)
Anyway, I have recently purchased a Mk2 Granada 2.8 carb with a four speed manual 'box. It has a slight rumble from the rear end at about 50 mph which disappears when you go over about 60. I took it into my mechanic and he's diagnosed a problem with the front UJ on the propshaft. I'm told I need a special tool to remove and replace the UJ?

What I would like to know from anyone in the know is the following -

What is this tool called and how much can I expect to pay for one?

Would I be better off trying to source a complete new prop?

And finally if the answer to the above question is yes, is the prop' different on an auto or 5 speed to my four speed one?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as at the moment I'm a bit worried about using the car in case I make it worse. In fact at the moment I'm having to make do with an Audi coupe for transport. (not bad but it's missing two important features - a blue oval and RWD!!!)

Here's hoping someone out there can help me get the Granny back on the road, Cheers!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi mate, yes you'd be better off either buying a second hand one with the risk it could go the same way, or have the old one overhauled. Its not really a diy jobby and would probably need a spike tool to cut off the peened over edges that hold the UJ in.
No ideas on the suitability of other transmission type shafts, sorry.
Why not try in here;
Mk1 Granada Owners Club ~ Index

1 - 3 of 3 Posts