Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARGH!

on a recent cruise with the falcon club i noticed the 'ol EA was lacking a bit in the power department. upon inspection i discovered that the throttle cable had bunched up and was not delivering full movement to the throttle body. "easy fix" i thought. I went to sprint and bought a newie for $33 and fitted it immediatly. it fixed it. i thought.

over the last few days ive been having problems with it still not delivering full throttle. after playing with adjustments i could get it to work again, only for it to fail again soon afterwards. today i took it for a long drive up to trade school. the throttle was yet again not right, but the scariest thing was it began to stick, causing a severe coolant leak in my underpants. i managed to limp home and quickly examined the now week-old cable.

it had bunched up just after the point that passes through the firewall. i could smell melting nylon and i believe the heat from the extractors has melted the internals of the cable. What the point of this thread is to find out if anyone else has had this problem. I personally believe the problem to be due to a cheap and nasty cable, as the original has been in the car for as long as ive had it and probably a lot longer without incident until last week. The replacent is placed in exactly the same position, yet managed to die in the space of a 6 days.

has anyone bought a genuine ford cable? how much are they worth? Im thinking about buying a longer one and routing it away from the exhaust, but really i dont see why i have to. any comments or experiences would be appreciated.

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
I had the same problem with the extractors on my EA. Go to an exhaust shop and get about a meter of that exhaust wrap stuff and put it round your cable. Cost me like $6. It doesn't look really flash, but it works. Maybe you could try putting some heatshrink tube round it to make it look better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts