Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps,

Would it hurt anything to trickle charge (@ 1 amp) the battery without taking the cables off and upsetting the computer? The car is garaged and not used often. I take it for a drive every 5 days to keep the battery charged.

I am not interested in solar charging or anything else, I have an Arlec charger here which I can use, and I don't want to undo the cables.

So - any harm?


cheers:smokin:
 

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
Joined
·
3,838 Posts
TopGhia, I charged my battery on car, 88 EA Ghia, without removing the cables on trickle overnight, using an arlec charger as well, and it still runs fine no harm done, runs perfectly fine in fact, well no worse then it ever has, it is old after all.

I connected it, then turned the power on, and left it charging :0)

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone is interested,

Well, I charged it up in the car, used the Arlec on Low (1 amp) for 8 hours. Worked perfectly. The car is used only once a week and the battery reading before the recharge was 12.16V, which is a couple of cranks short of flat.

I found some stuff called Inox battery conditioner which you add 15ml to each cell. That was before the recharge. Now this 12.16V was just 2 days after my 80k drive to recharge the battery, so the battery is not up to scratch.

After the treatment and the recharge, the battery reads 12.6 (fully charged), and things are lookin good. Recharging in the car had no effect on the ECU or anything else, so I thought I'd let youse know it is safe to do it - as long as you hook it up right, and it might be safer to restrict the charging voltage to under 14. Mine was about 13.8 after about 7 1/2 hours.



cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
EBXR,

<b>"Inox Battery Conditioner"</b>

$10.75 for a 90ml bottle. It's marked on the side in 6 15ml graduations, just bung 15ml in each cell. I'll take a reading tomorrow (2 days after a run), and if it is more than 12.16V it must be working.

It also says that it will double the life expectancy on a brand new battery.

cheers:beer:
 

·
Ford Appreciation Society
Joined
·
3,666 Posts
TopGhia said:
EBXR, I'll take a reading tomorrow (2 days after a run), and if it is more than 12.16V it must be working.
Sweet- keep us posted!
 

·
gone
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
Thanks for this thread

Ive got a question, Ive resorted to unplugging the Battery completly as I the EB is not driven for upto 2 week periods

Ive tried the solar recharge and its crap, obviusly ive got a leak that draws enough to bring it under crank requirements (engine been worked)

Whats are your thoughts on either unplugging it or getting one of those boost jump start packs

cheers
 

·
RIP Sox.....
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
If your battery needs charging after more than a week of no use, you may have something which is draining to much current at standby, or you have a suspect battery.

I have left cars for more than a month without use, and on return they start without problem.
Check the current draw and find the offender.

Disconnecting the battery all the time isn't ideal as the ECU must relearn everytime you drive it.

Rick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
I would not recomend charging your battery in your car unless you have a anti-zap device connected to your battery to prevent any electric spikes from frying your ecu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cogo_81

The battery should absorb any spikes.

minge,

My battery used to get to 5 days, after that it would be stressed out trying to start. So after this treatment, if the voltage stays OK, I will extend the days out from 5 to
see how long I can leave it before it has problems.

As Soxx said, if the battery is in good nick, you may have a parasitic draw on the battery, which should be checked out. Undoing the cables all the time is a real PITA and is best avoided if you can. I also have a 78 Suzuki LJ81 Ute, that thing can be left for a month and still starts OK, but then again, the battery is fairly new.


cheers:beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
<b>Update:</b>
Well, the reading this morning was 12.28 previous 12.16.

To put this in perspective here is the voltage chart

<b><i>No-Load Test</i></b>
<b>Voltage------------- Percent Charge</b>
12.60V to 12.72V-----100%
12.45V---------------75%
12.30V---------------50%
12.15V---------------25%

So, from the above, after the Inox treatment, the charge has gone from 25% to 50%. Which is good, but not miraculous. This stuff only works when the battery is charging, so it might take a while to get sulphate gunk off the plates. If I can get it to remain at 12.45V (75%) I'll be happy.


cheers :wnc: :beer:
 

·
gone
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
Ive given up and just unscrew the the friggen thing now until i can get it to an Auo Elec, Purchased one of those Power Jump Start Units though, great little thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
i agree with cogo_81. i wouldnt recommend charging in car without a spike arrestor. the battery wont absorb the spikes - it creates them. they cost about $20 and it only takes one spike to upset a $300 ecu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
TaraHymen said:
i agree with cogo_81. i wouldnt recommend charging in car without a spike arrestor. the battery wont absorb the spikes - it creates them. they cost about $20 and it only takes one spike to upset a $300 ecu

TH,

from a reputable battery supplier.

The second purpose of the battery is to filter out voltage spikes. The car's electrical system can have very high voltage spike, for instance when the start stops a minus 200 volt spike can occur. Large positive spikes can also occur. The battery does a good job as a filter because it acts like a large capacitor to absorb these spikes.
I'm just curious to know how the battery would create voltage spikes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
ok fair enough. i was always taught that it's a fact of life that anything with a potential difference will spike when connected/disconnected. thats why you can buy after market spike arrestors, all good jumper leads have them built in and the rac here have them built in internally for any battery connection.
 

·
i'll never grow up
Joined
·
294 Posts
ok if you want my opinion.. 2 days ago i charged my car cables on, as i use it once every couple of weeks.. next morning removed charger and "bugger" car wont start.. i have no ignition trigger.. the fireball ignition status llight says its recieving no igtion trigger.. do you think i have a fried ECU? this is going to cost a packet i can feel it!!!!!!!!!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top