Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I hope you can help.

I am looking for some information on various aspects of the 1973 Cortina Mk III GXL for a fictional story I am currently writing. In order to get an accurate picture of the vehicle, I am trying to get in contact with someone who owns such a car or people that can provide me with detailed information on things like trim options, interior colour, materials used etc. I have tried searching the web for such information, but have, so far, not been able to find what i need.

This is really a personal project and not a commercial venture, but i just wanted to lend an air of authenticity to my writing regarding this car. Photos will not do it for me, I'm afraid, as I lost my sight a number of years ago. I do have memories of a friend of the family way back in the early 80's that owned a maize yellow Mk III GXL with vinyl roof, automatic transmission and a 2.0 litre engine and so I have chosen this as my fictional car to include in my writing. However, although I have some vague recollections of the sort of details I need, I would like to get accurate first hand written answers to a short set of questions about this model if at all possible.

Ideally, I'd like to be put in touch via email with a willing owner or expert of such a car, so that I may email them questions. It would not be a long term drain on the time of the person, so hopefully not too much of an inconvenience.

Would love if someone might be able to help.

Thanks.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for responding to my post. The tech specs you pointed me to were very helpful. However, more of my questions relate to interior and exterior features that may be answered by a wider audience.

So, below s my set of questions that I am hoping some kind people can help me with. Forgive the number, but I am wanting to get a real feel for the car.

Below is a set of questions I have regarding the 1973 Ford Cortina Mk III 2.0 GXL automatic (UK)

I think many of these questions may also relate to other Mk III models of that year, so not necessarily GXL specific. I feel someone has some or all of these answers for me, so I'm just throwing this out there to see if I can piece together the information I need. Many thanks.

Interior questions:

* Interior trim: materials for seats and door interior panels as well as colours

* Was a radio or radio cassette player included or optional

* What gauges-were on the dash

* Design of the steering wheel: Number of spokes/materials spoke and arrangement.

* Was the horn mounted in the centre of the steering wheel or on the tip of a stalk

* Was a cigarette lighter/ash tray present

* Brief description of heating./cooling options for in car comfort

* Did the car have a built in steering lock

* Automatic Transmission: I recall the gear lever was the T-shift type. Was only the current gear selection illuminated on the 1, 2, D, N, R, P indicators or were all illuminated in the dark

* Did the Rea seat have a pull down centre arm rest

Exterior questions:

* Were the rear view mirrors mounted on the doors or front wings

* Were reversing lights present/optional

* Was the built in ariel (if present) mounted on the front left or right wing

* Did the bonnet feature a raised centre section or was it flat

* Can you describe the wheel design (e.g hub caps or alloy and its appearance)

* Were the door handles the grab handle with push button (as was common at the time) variety or the flat flap type type you reached under with your fingers

--

Regards

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts