Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DESIGN is my LIFE
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When welding stainless steel, what type of welder/welding material should be used to prevent the joint from rusting?

·
Forgotten
65 Posts
I would think that you should choose the best type that will make the best & least contaminated weld, then coat it to prevent rust.

Muffler shops deal with stainless steel piping all of the time, maybe you could call one and see what their opinion is.

·
Mazda 626 Member
7 Posts
You shouldn't need to coat it if you're using the appropriate stainless filler metal. Can't remember off the top of my head whether it should be MIG'ed or TIG'ed either... Doh, so much for my schooling...

·
Registered
11 Posts
jduffett said:
You shouldn't need to coat it if you're using the appropriate stainless filler metal. Can't remember off the top of my head whether it should be MIG'ed or TIG'ed either... Doh, so much for my schooling...
I believe TIG welding of stronger and should be used for making headers and exhaust manifolds. But i think you can MIG weld everything after the cat. I think, but dont quote me on that.

G

·
Both metods are just fine but its easyer to make good looking welds with TIG especially when welding thin walled pipes
headers with ticker walls in the pipes would probably be easyest with MIG.

My mild steel turbo headers are welded with mig (3mm wall tickness)

Attachments

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
FE3T, you are correct sir! The TIG welding is easier but most headers are MIG welded. If it helps any, TIG stands for Tungsten Inert Gas welding and MIG stands for Metal Inert Gas welding. The TIG welder uses electrodes that contain flux that release the inert gas as the "torch" is consumed while welding. MIG uses a wire feed that is consumed while welding and also has gas jets to supply the inert gas. Both are forms of electric arc welding.

·
DESIGN is my LIFE
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the info, but no one has answered my question... how do you weld stainless steel without the joint rusting?

G

·
Question cannot be answered

When welding stainless steel, what type of welder/welding material should be used to prevent the joint from rusting?
Honestly without specific information on the grade of the material I or anyone else cannot tell you how to weld it. . . There are various grades of commonly used stainless steel, and each has their own necessary gas mixture and rod or wire core type (depending on TIG or MIG). When welded together properly, the joint will have similar corrosion resistance as the base material itself.

DO NOT go to a muffler shop. . They almost always use MIG and their gas mixture is setup for general purpose welding and the wire core is not optimum for specific grades of SS.

You need to find out specifically what grade of SS you have, then find youself a weld shop. They will know the proper gas mixtures and type of rods to answer your question. You can even call a weld supply show.

Enjoy.

·
Probe GT Member
42 Posts
I am under the impression that SS exhaust tubing is 303 grade.
303 will not rust. Neither will 316. If its 400 series then rust can become prevalant in time. But I doubt its 400 series.

·
DESIGN is my LIFE
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tip is 304 and the muffler has a 304 shell but I'm not sure what type stainless steel the end caps and inlet/outlet pipes are.

·
Probe GT Member
42 Posts
Your right, my bad. It is 304SS I was thinking of.
300 series SS will not rust.
Can be polished to a high luster. :hy:

Note:
Cheap 304 SS, mixed with non-conforming materials may cuse rust if the surface is broken in any manner. Try to avoid these cheap SS alternatives many back woods shops sell. Insist it is real 304SS. They should have an MSDS on the material they use. If they dont, chances are its low quality junk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts