Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been trying to research some info, but coming up empty. I want to redo the audio in my LTD wagon, and have started by picking up a Ford Quadrasonic 8-track deck (no idea what was stock, came with an aftermarket Pioneer unit with some goofy wiring in the dash). However, I want to be able to hook up some nice speakers and an amp. My research has told me I could blow out the radio by connecting the newer speakers to the radio due to the lower impedance, but I can't find anything on whether that's true if an amp is wired in between. Anyone know how/if that would work?

·
Administrator
12,240 Posts
I'll give you my opinion. If you're going with a stock Ford head unit, I would stick with the stock speakers (if they are good) and no amp. The output on those old units especially one that 40 years is not of the best sound quality.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speakers are garbage aftermarket, I assume installed at the same time as the Pioneer unit, so I have no interest in keeping them. And I'm not overly concerned with how good the sound quality is, just so long as it isn't total crap. So that's why I wanted to know if connecting an amp is safe for an old style head unit or not.

As far as installing a modern unit, not so sure. I don't want to be hacking up the dash, and the reviews on units designed to fit old dashboards like that don't fill me with confidence in those products.

·
Administrator
12,240 Posts
I know what you mean about poor quality new shaft style radios.

Here's what you're going to have to verify before trying to install a amp. The Ford radio that you're going to use must have a dedicated ground wire for each channel Example: FL + & -, RL + & - and so on. There should be 8 speaker wires total. Some of the older radios shared a ground, in other words 5 speaker wires total for a 4 speaker system or some only had 4 and grounded directly to the body at each speaker. If that's the case you will not be able to connect a amp.

If all's good with the speaker wires, you'll have to either come up with a preamp adapter with RCA output jacks to feed the amp or come up with a amp that also has Hi Power inputs (red and black push terminals or input plug with wires) and connect that way with the speaker wire inputs. You'll also need a dedicated power & ground cable to the amp along with a remote (amp on & off switch wire) connected to a switched (off with key off) fuse or circuit.

As far as impedance, that term is for a AC circuit. You're meaning resistance (Ohms). There should be no problem as long as each speaker wire coming out of your Ford Quadrasonic has its own dedicated ground for each channel wire.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you.

And the deck I picked up does not have individual grounds, it has a shared ground, which is the same for the Pioneer unit. So that leaves me with either settling for basic sound, or tempting fate with one of those "retro" units.

Either way, I'll need new speakers, and they'll all need to be rewired. There's something really goofy with how they're set up, and the fact that the wiring at the back of the radio was connected incorrectly didn't help matters any. Only one speaker was connected to the ground, and there were two leads running from the right channel. Fixed it, and the sound is better, but things still are weird. So, I need to devise a complete replacement strategy, and this info will help.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the meantime, is there a good write up somewhere on adjusting car radio tuners? This Pioneer unit seems to have shifted the tuner so I have to adjust the tuner now when using the presets. I also can't reach the bottom frequencies anymore, so the FM modulator connected to the antenna port has become useless.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, a friend gave me an old JVC radio he pulled from his 90's Thunderbird. Hooked it up and I'm getting decent sound out of pretty cruddy speakers. The whole setup looks pretty horrid, though, since the dash panel is laying in the back seat and the radio is secured into place using zip ties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts