Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
A Fully Sick " Can't "
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering where you guys would recommend I try to insure the EL XR6. Only mods are exhaust, EL GT rims, lowered, CD player and thats it.

I have called a few places and been rejected, then got quoted $3700 by Just Cars. As you can understand I am not happy and shocked.

By the way I live in western side of Melbourne, so this will drive up the premium (higher crime rate) but nearly $4000 is ridiculous.

So what you guys think, any suggestions where I should try?

Thanks for any comments.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Sorry to tell you that thats the price you will have to pay. I am 33, rating 1 and have no mods to my AU XR6 and I still pay over $950 a year due to living in the West of Melb.
Insurance is just very, very expensive, not much we can do about it.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
RACV....1200 for me full comp and im 17!

·
Mechanical Dumbass
228 Posts
insurance for me under my dads name was $313 full comp, but that was when the car was stock. As soon as i lowered it they said they cant insure me as an additional driver anymore! Basically if you do anything to your car to make it look better and/or perform better they will kick up a sh!t. its very frustrating!! Yet they had no dramas whatsoever with my dad doing basically any legal mod he desired but wait 'your 18 year old son can no longer drive because..well..his 18..and we are pricks'.
basically you will have to just get third party fire and theft otheriwise its just ridiculous.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
yeah insurance as a neccesary evil, id suggest NRMA if you havent tried them already, I am insured under my dad's name and its around $500 for comp. insurance each year, although that will go up after my little effort on wednesday (see sig.).

Also, be 'creative' in your mod descriptions - instead of saying they're EL GT wheels, say they're 'alloy wheels' etc etc. I have heard of a few people getting a few $$$ off their premium this way, yet they're still fully covered because the insurance company cant say 'you didnt tell us that'. It is risky, and Id prob. never do it myself, but if you're desperate......

·
Mechanical Dumbass
228 Posts
back2thefutura: can't you just tell the insurance company your dad was driving it so the excess is less and his probably got max no claim so his insurance shouldn't get effected anyways?

on another note about insurance, does anyone know a company that will do 3rd party fire AND THEFT for canberra? most of the companies i have tried either dont do 3rd party theft for canberra or they wont insure me because i have a sound system which contains a 'boot speaker' will 'attract attention'. Like im stupid enough to have it up loud when parking in a carpark. :bang:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm in the Sth East of Melbourne with an EL XR6 and I pay about $920 a year with AAMI - 29 years old and rating 1. I've heard of people being quoted $3000 for full comp. on cars like an XF Falcon. Basically you're buying another XF every year for that money. Ring around to some of the more liberal companies. If you can do better than $2500, you'd be on a winner, otherwise you're gonna have to fork out some big bucks.

I suppose insurance is something you should have looked into before buying the car. Unfortunately the insurance companies charge an arm and a leg to most younger drivers, and if you buy a higher risk car, they want your balls too!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Dunno about full comp, but I found AAMI the cheapest for third party, fire and theft. $454 PA with my stack. Full comp as soon as I can afford it. Hah.

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Never tell that your car is lowered... as soon as you say that your car is classified as 'a high risk motor vehicle'.

At your age, you are just better off getting 3rd party fire & theft and stick with that for a few years. this will lower the price of comp over the years, especially if you hav a no claim bonus.

I tried insuring my XF last week. They asked me how much do you think's it's worth as is. I said at least $3,500... they said that because of the type of vehicle, they can only cover it to the value of $2,300. I said it was crap and that the car is in A1 condition, well looked after and has a number of mods added to the vehicle. She said that the price is an average and that's what they go by.

It's crap, I could've had an XF built for show (I wish) and they still would have only insured it for $2,300.

Anyway, they worked it all out for me and said it would cost me $2,287 per annum. BULL$HIT! Unless I write the damn car off once a year, where the hell is insurance going to take me. I got in trouble with my boss because he over heard me saying "stick it up your ass!".

They only go on average's created by dickheads. Young drivers = trouble... that's their philosophy. It sucks, I've never had an accident, never been convicted of any criminal offence on or off the road. Hell, I even had a clean record all through school, but the fact is i'm young and I'm an average... and so is my car... damn it hurts when someone completely mis-values your car.

So I went to a difference place and got 3rd party fire & theft for $45 a month. My GF is paying $21 a month for a car valued at the same price. why, because female's are less likely to cause or have an accident on 'average'!

Maybe I should put make-up on and wear a dress next time I want insurance.

·
Road Warrior
489 Posts
Freak said:
Never tell that your car is lowered... as soon as you say that your car is classified as 'a high risk motor vehicle'.
If your car is modified always tell them about it.
If you dont tell them that your car is lowered they MAY NOT PAY OUT if you have had an accident and it is your fault & if you dont tell them & they need to replace a part that is damaged, they may replace it with a stock item or poorer quality to that what was on the car.

Freak said:
At your age, you are just better off getting 3rd party fire & theft and stick with that for a few years. this will lower the price of comp over the years, especially if you hav a no claim bonus.
Start off in a crap car, with 3rd party fire & theft & drive like miss daisy until you get a respectable insurance group. eg. RATING 1 or 2.
Once you have worked your way up to that level your insurance will be alot less than previously quoted.

Freak said:
They only go on average's created by dickheads. Young drivers = trouble... that's their philosophy. It sucks, I've never had an accident, never been convicted of any criminal offence on or off the road.
Statistics my friend, they dont lie.
Most young guys I know are dickheads.
Just look at MOST P-Plater males on the road today.
Most of them speed, tailgate & do varoius stupid things on the road.
All young males have to go through the same things when growing up & one of them is getting insurance.
Ask anyone on hear who has insurance & they will all tell you that they had the same problems when they were younger.

Just remember this. Insurance is expensive when you dont need it, but cheap when you do.

Cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm 20 and have an EF XR6 insured through Ford Insurance for about $1350 a year. I am about to get new wheels for it too, and they said the wheels won't effect the premium unless I want them covered. When I was getting quotes, they were about $700 a yr cheaper than the cheapest place I could find (NRMA)

·
Fully Sick Magna Driver
625 Posts
Freak said:
I was told that rather saying that your car is lowered, tell them that it has "sports suspension". But I think it would only work if its proper sports suspension, not some ordinary lowering job. I dunno... its what I think anyway.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
well if its an XR it'll have factory lowered suspension in it anyway wont it? they dont usually have a problem with factory stuff.

·
A Fully Sick " Can't "
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THanks for the replies guys.
I will try Ford Insurance and have a look at www.vigilins.com.au to see what they got.
Other wise my dad will have my car and I will most likely get some ED fairmont or what not.
I don't get my licence untill July but I want to know what I'll be looking at, because if it's that much it's just not worth it.

·
Was XLS, now XR8 UTE!!
313 Posts
try ford insurance mate.

when i was looking at a new car, i told ford i wasnt going to buy a XR8 ute unless they gave me fully comp insurance for $2,200. they done it for me. no other place would even look at me except for the odd $5000 and $7000 premiums.

Good luck
Teza

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
You only have to be put down as an additional driver if you drive the car 20% of the time or more (varies depending on the company).... but you won't be driving it that much will you ;)

I have nothing but 3rd party only on my cars and a f***ing good alarm, because they wnat to insure my XF for $2300 too, but with all my mods (being honest) the premium was going to be $2600.

Even they couldn't justify themselves!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts