Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking at trading in my trusty scooby doo ricer frier WRX on a Ford XR6t and being the fact i'm 24 and it's a turbo (and already paying $2600 for a wrx FFS!) I'm just curious if it's definately worth the money buying a brand new car only to fork out another $2.6k for insurance p/a.

so if ya'll could put your state, age, rating and how much you pay per year and who it's thru that would help me out HEAPS! :)

Cheers

Matt

·
XR6
3 Posts
Het Mattison21

I have a straight XR6 but this may be of use. After getting quotes from over 5 different insurance companies as well as doing the same for other vehicles ie Mazda Tribute, I found CommInsure the best. In fact, cheaper on average by $200 per year. CommInsure use Allianz for their vehicles.

You can locate a phone number via www.comminsure.com.au

They provide online quotes, but I found this to only be a guide as the phone quote was better.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
An XR6T will be a lot cheaper to insure than a WRX. I'm 23 and my XR8 is only $900 through Ford Insure so I don't think you would pay anymore than that as the XR8 and the Turbo cost about the same to insure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm 21 and have my xr6 Turbo ute insured for $42,000 and pay $3500 a year. I've got a good driving record and they gave me 60% no claim bonus.

·
Registered
104 Posts
just car insurance will insure, at a slightly dearer premium, but allow unliited modifications.... did someone say stage 4?

·
FF Town Mayor
1,700 Posts
Hello. I own a straight XR6 BA, I am 32 and it costs me $800ish a year. I didn't get the turb coz I thought it would be like the SS $2500 odd. After I got it, I decided to ring and check. Apparently it is about $100 per year more than the non turb! Blew me away and have been depressed ever since and have decided to trade up. I am with Suncorp Metway. Bear in mind that many insurance companies won't insure you if you have a few speeding fines, and the general rule is they will "decline to offer cover" if you have more than one fine per year for the last five years. Made it hard for me, I can tell ya! But Suncorp is cool.

Good luck.

·
APS Phase 3 Ute
262 Posts
trbo 6 said:
I'm 21 and have my xr6 Turbo ute insured for $42,000 and pay $3500 a year. I've got a good driving record and they gave me 60% no claim bonus.
OUCH! :AAHHH:

I pay $800

·
FF Town Mayor
1,700 Posts
That is shocking, yeah? $3500 is probably not far off what someone would pay off something like that! And it is more than an SS Commodore. Being under 25 is the killer though. He will probably find it drops more each year, and will drop heaps after 25th birthday! One would hope so!

$800 is good for the turb tho, from what I hear!

·
OFR #7
322 Posts
I got mine for $770, only $80 more than my old 5.0L Fairmont which was insured for less than 1/3 the value of XR6T. Go figure?

·
FF Town Mayor
1,700 Posts
Tell me about it Big Mick! The insurance was the ONLY reason I didn't get the turb 9 months ago! And to find out there was barely any difference has caused me quite a deal of stress and envy of little red letters on many, many occasions.... I see another XR on the road, and I stay behind it so they cannot see that bare space under the XR logo : )...

However, hoping to trade up soon and I will be back to my regular happy self, especially post-chip!

·
V8 ute driver!
984 Posts
I'm 24 an paid 650 for my XR8 ute an the XR6T was gonna be about 50 bucks cheaper. That was till i totalled my XR8 about a month ago, now i reckon they might up the premium just a lil for me next one!!!!

·
FF Town Mayor
1,700 Posts
Sorry to hear about your XR8 ute! What a shame? Was it your fault? Did you have a no claim bonus? Guess all that doesn't make much difference when it comes to getting a new car, unless you get to keep your rating one, and then it should not change, technically.

·
BA XR8
448 Posts
XRchic said:
Hello. I own a straight XR6 BA, I am 32 and it costs me $800ish a year. I didn't get the turb coz I thought it would be like the SS $2500 odd. After I got it, I decided to ring and check. Apparently it is about $100 per year more than the non turb! Blew me away and have been depressed ever since and have decided to trade up. I am with Suncorp Metway. Bear in mind that many insurance companies won't insure you if you have a few speeding fines, and the general rule is they will "decline to offer cover" if you have more than one fine per year for the last five years. Made it hard for me, I can tell ya! But Suncorp is cool.

Good luck.
You're getting ripped off. I'm ...31, XR8 and only pay $620ish for full comp. AAMI.

·
FF Town Mayor
1,700 Posts
Yeah, but the thing is I got heaps of quotes, only to find out I had to many speeding fines. There were plenty cheaper than what I pay now, but the "declined to offer cover" on the basis of my speeding fines. I have not had an accident in over 16 years of driving, but the speeding fines were a big issue. So I had to go with what I could get. Some offered me cover at over that price too. I took the best deal I could get.

Would have been nice to get cheaper though.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Black Kat said:
You're getting ripped off. I'm ...31, XR8 and only pay $620ish for full comp. AAMI.
I checked with AAMI ( 37, no at fault claims and always able to supply the other party's name, no speeding infringements ever ) and was quote ~750 ish .. which was fine until I read the fine print.
The would only insure a brand new XR8 for $32500 !!! screw that. If I do total it then I get left with a massive short fall.

I am going to follow up on some of the the comapnies listed. I am paying ~$1000 for the XR8 now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
XR6 Turbo. 42 Y.O. AAMI $650. RACV $600. No fines or accidents either. Another friend 40 Y.O. RACV $490 due to second car discount. Glad I'm not in the under 25 zone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up going RACQ for $1011, just rung up today to add my 19's to the policy only to be told they don't class mag wheels as a accessory so I don't need to pay extra for them!!

BARGAIN!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts