Ford Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day

I'm running a mild 302 in the XE, nothing serious, has a crane cam with a rev range of approx. 2000-5000rpm, a bit of basic head work just to smooth it out, balanced bottom end and pacemaker 4-2-1 interferance type headers into 2.5" dual then a single 3" over the diff and out the back.

The intake is all standard and seems to run and perform quite well, I'm assuming the Carter can be tuned to suit the motor, it'll be getting dyno'd soon, but I was wondering how much of a difference an aftermarket intake manifold would make to the performance/economy of this engine? I don't want to waste any money on something designed for much higher performance than what I'm looking for with this engine, but if it'll make a noticable difference with the engine set up like this then it may be worth looking at. Also, I really don't want to go to a Holley unless I have to, my understanding is that the Carter is quite a good carby if it's tuned by someone who knows what they're doing

Any suggestions or experiences are welcome
 

· Approach with caution.
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
XE302 said:
G'day

I'm running a mild 302 in the XE, nothing serious, has a crane cam with a rev range of approx. 2000-5000rpm, a bit of basic head work just to smooth it out, balanced bottom end and pacemaker 4-2-1 interferance type headers into 2.5" dual then a single 3" over the diff and out the back.

The intake is all standard and seems to run and perform quite well, I'm assuming the Carter can be tuned to suit the motor, it'll be getting dyno'd soon, but I was wondering how much of a difference an aftermarket intake manifold would make to the performance/economy of this engine? I don't want to waste any money on something designed for much higher performance than what I'm looking for with this engine, but if it'll make a noticable difference with the engine set up like this then it may be worth looking at. Also, I really don't want to go to a Holley unless I have to, my understanding is that the Carter is quite a good carby if it's tuned by someone who knows what they're doing

Any suggestions or experiences are welcome
For your set-up it won't make any difference other than save weight, the std cleveland 4 barrel manifold is a good thing for mild applications and the edelbrock performer etc are virtually just copies of the std manifold anyway.
You might want to try a 600 holly but i doubt you'll notice much difference, and it wont pass emmisions tests with the holley anyway.
 

· ESP Man
Joined
·
904 Posts
Don't know what state your in but from an old mag article the Carter guru tuner was a bloke in SA but can't recall the name
 

· ESP Man
Joined
·
904 Posts
Spider_GT said:
i heard the 4v intake on 2v heads is good combo
Why would that be a good combo?

So the air coming thru the inlet runner can crash into the side of the head and slow down and have to swirl around to get into the head port - I don't think so.

Ask whoever you heard it from to show you some dyno sheets comparing the 4v and 2v manifolds bolted up to the same engine
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,324 Posts
shaynet said:
Why would that be a good combo?

So the air coming thru the inlet runner can crash into the side of the head and slow down and have to swirl around to get into the head port - I don't think so.

Ask whoever you heard it from to show you some dyno sheets comparing the 4v and 2v manifolds bolted up to the same engine
This at face value seems like a spazoid idea!!....but Kostecki Engines in Perth have done this plenty of times. They say its good for about an extra 15ft/lbs of torque. You'd think that the turbulence caused by high rpm airflow would have to create problems....but they recommended the idea to me! They have inhouse dyno's and all that gear, and they do make some tuff engines.

When fitting it though, you have to close your eyes, because it just looks wrong :hy:

I think I'd refer the port matched setup though.
 

· 74 XB Fairmont
Joined
·
5,129 Posts
In curious to see how an Weiand single plane goes on a 302. A mate and I were going to test it but he swapped he engines into different cars. Preventing us from testing. I wanted to see if we could get a 302 powered coupe into the 13's. Stock it went 15.2 but had the config and power upped since.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
brenx said:
In curious to see how an Weiand single plane goes on a 302. A mate and I were going to test it but he swapped he engines into different cars. Preventing us from testing. I wanted to see if we could get a 302 powered coupe into the 13's. Stock it went 15.2 but had the config and power upped since.
Hello All. What sort of hp do you think I'll get from a 302 with a tq20 cam, Weiand Xcelerator 2V manifold, ported iron heads with upgraded springs (cost the bloke $3400 to do, bought for $650, very happy!) and roller rockers, choice of 600 VS or 650 DP carby, Holley Blue fuel pump, Bosch electronic ignition and some pacemakers?? Have found a 3.55 LSD 9inch to replace the 8.75 2.77 as well which should help? I can get bigger carby's but surely that would be overkill for a 302??

I was going to go the 351 rods etc but will doing the above give me enough poke around town to avoid being embarrassed by commodores??
 

· 74 XB Fairmont
Joined
·
5,129 Posts
I'd use the 650dp as thats what ended up on the 302 we were playing with. That setups similar to the 302 we played with but I think we had more camshaft in it. Gearing was the same. You can also get away with the stock mechanical pump ;)

Something like that should keep you out of trouble.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
XB 74 Coupe said:
Hello All. What sort of hp do you think I'll get from a 302 with a tq20 cam, Weiand Xcelerator 2V manifold, ported iron heads with upgraded springs (cost the bloke $3400 to do, bought for $650, very happy!) and roller rockers, choice of 600 VS or 650 DP carby, Holley Blue fuel pump, Bosch electronic ignition and some pacemakers?? Have found a 3.55 LSD 9inch to replace the 8.75 2.77 as well which should help? I can get bigger carby's but surely that would be overkill for a 302??

I was going to go the 351 rods etc but will doing the above give me enough poke around town to avoid being embarrassed by commodores??
a coupe will never be enbarrassed by a commodore 'classic not plastic'
 

· Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
it depends what std manifold you have. ford made a early square bore that is with in 8hp and 5 lbs of a edellbrock. then a spreadbore in two types. 1st is a spread with straight down holes and the 2nd is spread with the secondary holes on a taper of about 45 degrees. since you have the ford spreadbore carb you should check that you have the straight hole spread manifold, as the other is shite. if you need part #s i can supply tomorrow. or spend about $250 and get a good second hand performer.
the choice is yours...cheers
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top