Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so poking around at the intake some more. Based on the appearance in this photo, is the bi-metal switch missing?

Also, not sure what the name of this is, but I know it should divert the intake flow to pull in air heated by the exhaust manifold while the bi-metal switch applies vacuum:

I found that it doesn't work even with vacuum applied, and doesn't seem to be leaking any vacuum. Is any of this worth replacing, supposing the parts can be located? Or am I just as well off just capping off the vacuum line and removing the ducting to pull from the manifold?

·
Super Moderator
7,775 Posts
Given my brief search at some of my favorite restoration spots, you might want to bypass them for now. If you're looking for a full restoration, you'll have to do some hunting, but you might want to consider switching to a modern assembly that breathes better.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, yeah. I won't bother with it then. I'm not doing a restoration to factory, and plan to do a lot of tinkering.

Can you provide some links to some of these assemblies? Just want to get a better idea of what you're talking about.

·
Super Moderator
19,416 Posts
" But I'm guessing the suggestion is to just replace the while air cleaner assembly in its entirety. "

You have that option or disconnecting , your shout .The ones I disconnected had no detrimental effects on engine .

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the plastic part that connects to the end of the cleaner assembly is already removed. It was crumbling apart, so I took it out.

This does have something that look like a fuel vapor recovery system that vents into the assembly. So not sure if that would be needed to remain or if it could connect into a replacement.

·
Super Moderator
7,775 Posts

·
Administrator
8,170 Posts
I would stick with the stock filter assembly and keep it original. If the insulation is real dirty, which I'm sure it is after 40 years, you risk sucking dirt from it using a open element filter. Been down that road before.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then, in the end, I'll just not bother with the bi-metal switch or vacuum motor, and stick with my original plan of polishing and painting the original assembly. And maybe getting a nicer nut for securing the lid. Saw a few nice ones on CarId.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts