Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic recently discovered a hole in my intercooler. $8000 and a new engine later, I have just one question (for now): what kind of damage to my car could be created by such a hole (please keep in mind I drove around with the hole for 2+ weeks without knowing)?? See pictures.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
802 Posts
Is that an intercooler or condensor? What motor do you have? If its a condensor, if the ac is still cold and isnt leaking freon its fine but if its an intercooler then youll want to get it replaced. It wont cause any damage with regular driving however its best to get it fixed/replaced asap.

Also Im a little confused, did that cause you to get a new engine or did this happen afterwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that an intercooler or condensor? What motor do you have? If its a condensor, if the ac is still cold and isnt leaking freon its fine but if its an intercooler then youll want to get it replaced. It wont cause any damage with regular driving however its best to get it fixed/replaced asap.

Also Im a little confused, did that cause you to get a new engine or did this happen afterwards?

Ford V6 Turbobooster. It is the Intercooler. This happened first and I wouldn't have even known about it except my car pulled the P2099 code and my turbo needed to be replaced. When he went to repair the turbo, he found the hole. Then he discovered that oil had leaked into the engine, a piston was bent...long story short- engine had to be replaced along with the turbo and intercooler. Insurance says I had a long term internal oil leak, that me, the mechanic, and the oil change shop never saw signs of. I find this hard to believe.

My claim was that the hole in the intercooler allowed too much air in the system causing it to run incorrectly, which messed up the turbo which messed up the engine. From what I have researched a hole in the intercooler could cause engine damage. I am trying to confirm (or not) with folks who know more about engines then me. So the original question: what kind of damage would a hole like this cause??

·
Super Moderator
802 Posts
With that being an air to air intercooler thats post turbo, the biggest effect I can see is boost loss which could cause incorrect air fuel ratio. However I feel like thats a stretch. By piston being bent Im going to assume it was a rod thats bent since thats more common, thats usually caused by the affected cylinder being hydrolocked. And if its burning oil the common places it could leak from are the turbo seals and pcv valve. I just dont see the connection but I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
19,123 Posts
If a mechanic installs a new turbocharger, without investigating the intercooler first, the system will run a high-pressure sequence, where oil and particles that have accumulated in the intercooler are at risk of being blown into the combustion chamber. If this debris enters the combustion chamber, then they are at a great risk of damaging the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts