Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't strictly Ford news, but it is news that will affect Ford.
Firstly to do with Toyota:
<blockquote>
<b>"A bendigo based drag boat racing team are getting Toyota Backing for a supercar"</b>
</blockquote>
And Now to do with Mitsubishi:
<blockquote>
<b>"Mitsubishi is rumored to be having a production run of 200 V8 Dodge powered Magnas to qualify for supercars also"</b>
</blockquote>

Heh, now not only will we be beaten by Holden, but Toyota and Mitsubishi as well :eek:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Is it the First of April????
Check the date of the news items..... :D

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aussie Pete said:
Is it the First of April????
Check the date of the news items..... :D
Heh, well the guy that I got this from is an insider, but he could have been having me on
recon it's a hoax?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Just how do you suppose they can build V8 powered Magnas? I can't see it. Plus, I wasn't aware there was a requirement for a minimum number of road cars with V8 Supercars. I thought the idea was you negotiate straight up. For eg, the Commodore uses wishbones/watts link - not in the road car.

Then you've got the issue about whether Toyota and Mitsu want to do this. As in, go the dinosaur V8 path with pushrods and all that. I wouldn't think so.

Bottom line - I reckon it's 1st of April stuff. Besides, would you buy a Camry refrigerator front wheel drive chicken mobile because they run a V8 Supercar? I thought not! Camry drivers wouldn't know what a racetrack is let alone follow the sport.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
I read in AA or Motorsport News that Cochrane had gone cold on the idea to include Mitsu and Toyota. Article said that he thought it would take away from the "tribal" vibe that exists between Ford and Holden thus reducing the appeal of the category.
Can't say I'd be too keen to have them included. :WH:

T

·
0 Posts
the V8 magna was advertised in the 1997-98 edition of wheels magazine. makes things interesting now. I agree with FM though it does take away the Ford versus Holden rivalry. how does this fit in with bathurst, anyone know.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the rules of V8 supercars that the car in production form has to be similar with the race car (yeah yeah i know Seto's car is nothing like the AU company car) but in the sense of it's rear drive and has a V8.

Magna is front drive, imagine makin Magna with 600hp front driver :D :p :p :D :p :p :CraZ: :CraZ: :CraZ: :CraZ:

Funny isn't it....

·
Australian xr8 Member
82 Posts
I would like to see that!!! esp start line aand ALLLL that understeer.:damack: :damack:

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
I say let them build their own category called 'Big Banger Ricers'.:cool:

The main resson I don't want them in V8 supercar because they will take the Holden V Ford rivalry away and the crowds will slowly diminish.

Still it would give Ford fans and Holden fans something to agree on, hating the other two brands. :p

·
Saving for a BA XR6t
171 Posts
Well I don't wanna get hit here, but I hope that Mitusbishi do get-in on the V8 Supercar scene. I think they deserve better sales than they are currently getting. Would be a mighty pity if they had to pack-up and leave, left only as an importer.

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
You could say the same about Ford our sales aren't exactly going through the roof.
I heard that the Mitsubishi plant in SA was going to build some Chryslers, don't know if it is truth or bull****.

·
Australian xr8 Member
82 Posts
Yes I feel the same about Mitsi they are atlleast using our labour and keeping the working man employed.Ford too come's into that too.This level playing field is a load of crapp.:fmad: :fmad:

·
Saving for a BA XR6t
171 Posts
Yes I feel the same way about Ford too. As good as this 'wake-up call' has been for Ford, it would be good to see a more even split in the sales area. We always want competition to keep the cars at top level.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
When I worked at a Mitsi dealer there were rumours of a 4.5 L DOHC MIVEC V8 putting around 330kw to go into the Pajero EVO2. Mitisi was also developing a mediumsized platform for FWD,RWD and AWD to be used under the Debonair V, Diamante/Magna, GTO/Stealth and the larger Chrysler sedans. The rumour mill had the GTO running the V8 taken out to 5.0L and pushing out around 350 very lazy kilowatts to take on the Mustang etc. Last I heard the plan was halted for money reasons. That didn't stop the development of the Paj from what I've heard. Apparently they want it to KILL the skyline GTR!:CraZ: Image all thatin a Magna?:CraZ: :CraZ: :damack:

T

·
0 Posts
FTE that sounds something like what I read. although the article related to a car with the V8.

·
Australian xr8 Member
82 Posts
We don't get the good gear from them either[Mitsi].I'v recently came back from N.Z they have heaps of Jap import cars there and some new.The g.t.o in red without badge's to the uninitiated looks prancing horse like.We don't get the cool cars here.A performance car there is just another car,how things have changed.To bring one back you need Oz license and live there for three months.Only needs to pass blue slip...True, as personal import.:thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts