Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question that HJ could answer.
Can the IRS sub-assembly fit into the rear end of a Falcon ute? Friends brother has (1.) XR8 ute and (2.) the rear half of a wrecked AUII Fairmont Ghia. Can (1) and (2) go together?
His thinking is that the chassis rails in the ute can be re-engineered to suit the IRS mounting points.
Have any IRS utility mules been constructed, HJ? If he undertakes the task would it be ( on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most difficult) a difficult mod?
Thanking you in advance for your detailed and thorough explaination.;)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Given enough time, thought and money any thing is possible. Although I can't see it being to much of a drama. At least not compared to fitting a Jag rearend under a Holden ute/van. I assume he has an AU.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
id say it would be possible but can i ask for what reason? If you want a ute to handle like a sedan why not just buy a sedan? If you want a workhorse which is the falcon utes forte then buy it becasue with live rear axle it would easily carry 1 ton, but with IRS I dont think so buddy!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cobra said:
id say it would be possible but can i ask for what reason? If you want a ute to handle like a sedan why not just buy a sedan? If you want a workhorse which is the falcon utes forte then buy it becasue with live rear axle it would easily carry 1 ton, but with IRS I dont think so buddy!
Why do people climb mountains? Because they are there. This guy doesn't use his ute to carry 1 tonne of material. He bought it because he likes the styling better than the sedan and wouldn't buy a commodore ute.
He has access to the whole IRS assembly and wants to have a AU ute that was different to the rest. No drama in that!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What? And wait until Holden can fix the oil usage, fuel pumps, lack of storage and the wheels?LOL

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Re: Re: IRS

JEM said:
I think he wants real IRS ;)
Good call JEM.. :D Nothing but the best for Ford owners.. :D

·
A Ford Guy
68 Posts
There are some very easy and some quite difficult parts to fitting an IRS in to the ute. The easy bits are front subframe mounts, as these pick-up the front leaf spring hangers, and the tail shaft, which you can carry over from the ute.

The tough bits are the rear IRS subframe mounts and the springs and shockers, as the ute rails are quite different from the sedan's. You'll need to make up some mounts to fill the gap between the IRS subframe and the rail (about 100 mm worth), again this is easier on the left side as the subframe mount is directly under the ute's chassis rail. On the right the sub-frame mount is offset from the chassis rail and a suitable offset mount would need to be made. The sedan's spring and shocker unit will just not fit without major surgery to the chassis rail and probably the best solution to get around this is to get a custom coil-over-shock made up and mount that. You may lose some wheel travel over the sedan, but if its all thought out properly it wouldn't be too bad. If you make the rear mounts in the in the same fashion as the original sedan ones, ie with a spigot and bolted cover plate, there's no reason why someone looking under there wouldn't think it's factory.

Overall you'll be adding some 70 - 80 kgs to the ute and reducing the load carrying capacity, but it would definitely be different, and at least this ute would have a real IRS.

Jimbo

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jimbo,
I won't ask how you knew all that but it'll be much appreciated. I'll have passed on the info and l'll get you posted on what pans out. Cheers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: IRS

OzRed12 said:
Just buy a VU SS, problem solved :D
How do you then solve the hole in the head problem? If your going to say something intelligent at least stick a finger in one ear to stop the wind whistling through.

·
A Ford Guy
68 Posts
Mr GTHO said:
Jimbo,
I won't ask how you knew all that but it'll be much appreciated. I'll have passed on the info and l'll get you posted on what pans out. Cheers.
That's good, because if you don't ask I won't have to lie.

Brake lines may also need to be modified, and don't forget an engineer's report for rego!

Jimbo

·
Australian VU SS Ute A4 Member
18 Posts
Re: Re: IRS

Mr GTHO said:

How do you then solve the hole in the head problem? If your going to say something intelligent at least stick a finger in one ear to stop the wind whistling through.
OK I have a finger stuck in one ear, now what? :damack:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Would this conversion make it the worlds only Ute with IRS and a seperate tray?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Nope. The "New OneTonner Company" converted a number of IRS Commodores to trayback utes including a couple of VTs. Also I seem to remember seeing a Puegot ute with IRS somewhere in a book and they have a seperate tray. And some loony cut a 1970's model Merc S class, the big 6.9L if I remember right, in to a tray back. The moster had selfleveling rearend as well! But it will be the first ute to be able to go around corners!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thread miner attack! Does anyone know the outcome of all this?

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
No, but I had the same idea when the AU’s came out! Also is there any change to Jimbo’s advice with the difference in the BA sedan? XR8 ute with IRS – brilliant!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts