Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys gonna buy an already built engine off an engine shop, but its been taken out 40thou, i know 30 is the norm but ne1 got any thoughts on the matter, 393 clevo.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Why don,t you ask them if they did a sonic check on the block before they bored it.This would have verified suitability BEFORE any machine work can be done,especially on a 393. If they can,t tell you than I would tread carefully . I would consider that any engine shop worth their salt would be able to confirm that the block is up to par considering their reputations in this dept.Clevelands are known to be thin here and a test would have either confirmed that the block is a suitable candidate or not. FWIW, I,ve struck water on a routine 30 over bore . For a 393 buildup you may have to sonic check a few blocks before you find one that is good enough.Oh, and I would want it to have some sort of block filler as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
a friend of mine ran a 351 +.040 for years in a XWGTHO and used to thrash it mercilessly with no problems at all.

·
Southern Coupe
215 Posts
mine is at 40thou - its been through the grill so to speak

I had no probs with the block, took the heads off and the pistons did have a bit of lateral play, rings were f'd

bores look ok but you just never know - i was toying with going 60 over but I dont have 100% confidence doing that, where I live I have no facilities for sonic testing........

·
Registered
58 Posts
russxr67 said:
Why don,t you ask them if they did a sonic check on the block before they bored it.This would have verified suitability BEFORE any machine work can be done,especially on a 393. If they can,t tell you than I would tread carefully . I would consider that any engine shop worth their salt would be able to confirm that the block is up to par considering their reputations in this dept.Clevelands are known to be thin here and a test would have either confirmed that the block is a suitable candidate or not. FWIW, I,ve struck water on a routine 30 over bore . For a 393 buildup you may have to sonic check a few blocks before you find one that is good enough.Oh, and I would want it to have some sort of block filler as well.
i second what russ said...if you are going to rev it over 7000 rpm on a regular basis,then i would steer clear of it,but like russ said,at the least get some block filler...if you are going to build a 393,you would want to start with something thicker,especially if you are going to build a higher rpm combo...
ALL good engine machinest will tell you this..

·
Turbo 351TC "Coming soon"
259 Posts
I agree with russxr67 and soverign get it grouted. I've seen heaps at .060, I wouldn't do it but they all ran without any problems.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, ur've put my mind at ease. the block has been sonic tested by 2 places because the machinst knew wat he'd be up against when he was selling it, and himself and another machinst have both certified that the block will be fine. they both said that if sumthing was to happen they both said they'd be happy to do the rite thing by me as far as supplying a block and pistons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts