Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
94/04 Taurus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 and 04 Taurus and I am wondering if a 2 ton jack and jack stands are safe enough for them? I know the curb weight for a taurus is ~3,400 lbs so it is within the limits of a 2 ton jack, but what do you think? Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
980 Posts
Is this to jack the car up to work on it or store it? will you be using 1, 2, 3, or 4 jackstands?

either way your good to go but if you can tell me what you are doing I can try to explain to you the absolute safest way of doing it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, the entire weight of the car is not on the jack. If you jack up the front end, some of the car's weight will still be supported by the rear tires. I would not recommend supporting the care only with the jack and then working underneath, too dangerous. Put a couple jackstands under there and pull the jack out of the way and you should be OK.

Jacks and jackstands are a bit of a hassle, so I use ramps for most of my under-car work. Sometimes I drive the front wheels up on the ramps, then jack up the rear and put it on jackstands.

·
94/04 Taurus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UhOh! said:
Is this to jack the car up to work on it or store it? will you be using 1, 2, 3, or 4 jackstands?

either way your good to go but if you can tell me what you are doing I can try to explain to you the absolute safest way of doing it
I plan on using 2 jack stands. It will be to work under the car. I usually use just ramps as I usually only change the oil or starter and this has served me well. I am thinking it would be good to get a jack and jack stands becasue I plan on changing my fuel filter now. Also, I figured it would be good to have a trolly jack and stands handy in case I need them. Correct me if I am wrong, but I figure it is not as safe, or the best way to use ramps to change the fuel filte. I figure the safest way to change the fuel filter is with a jack and jack stands.

Also, as a side note about changing the fuel filter. In the chilton manual that I have it says to relieve the pressure in the fuel line with a certain pressure gauge tool. I always thought it was only nessisary to open the gas cap and you were good to go. I called around my local auto parts stores and local mechanics and they have either never heard of the pressure gauge tool or said that opening the gas cap should be enough. I was just wondering what your guy's oppinion is. Also, any other suggestions for changing the fuel filter would be greatly appreciated since I have never done it before. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
980 Posts
I would just stick with the ramps personally. If you use the jack stands make sure they are secure. as an added safety precaution once you drop the car on the stands jack the jack up again just until it touches but jacking point.
for the fuel filter just take the gas cap off and the loger you leave the car the more the pressure wil go down so just dont start it a few hrs prior to your maintenance. Also remove it slowly and cover with a rag just in case the is any additional pressure.
hope this helps.

oh, and dont get fuel in your eyes :hy:

·
94/04 Taurus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UhOh! said:
I would just stick with the ramps personally. If you use the jack stands make sure they are secure. as an added safety precaution once you drop the car on the stands jack the jack up again just until it touches but jacking point.
for the fuel filter just take the gas cap off and the loger you leave the car the more the pressure wil go down so just dont start it a few hrs prior to your maintenance. Also remove it slowly and cover with a rag just in case the is any additional pressure.
hope this helps.

oh, and dont get fuel in your eyes :hy:
Thanks for the tips UhOh! One last question. If I use the ramps. It sounds like I should just back the car up on them, block the tires, open the gas cap, and wait a couple of hours for the pressure to go down? Oh yeah, and make sure I don't get gas in my eyes:)Thanks again!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I posted a way to reieve the pressure in your other post. Gas in the eyes is one thing, but if you want REAL pain, let it go into your ear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts