Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Aaron, I know people in BAPOC have removed their stock steering wheels and put on smaller racing type wheels. Dont think its illegal, but keep the stock one just in case.

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
:rolleyes:

seriously, no they are not illegal. my stacey has a momo shuttle on her 90pgl and she's never been harassed about it.

we were pulled over on our way to MAS and the issue was never brought up by the chp.

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not being busted for it and it being illegal are two different things tho...

some cops may not be aware of the rules regarding steering wheels.

It may be illegal but most cops over look it... but if you get one dick head cop that wants to cause trouble, then im screwed. Also , i have to get my car checked as I bring it over the border, so i want to be sure if it is or not so I wont have any trouble when im crossing...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
put the stock wheel on, pass inspection and swap it out after. also, make sure to have a front plate on the car.

·
It's been a long time...
52 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, I thought it was illegal to remove the airbag devices orginally installed on vehicles. of course, this would not apply to cars that debut before airbags were standard equipment.

A few of my friend's have Momo wheels and have never had problems despite their numerous run-ins with Johnny Law, but it still is something to get hassled for.

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
Welp after doing a little research for yeah.. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=veh&codebody=&hits=20 i can't find anything that says jack about the size of the steering wheel. I know what your talking about though i believe if you don't go below like 12 inches you won't have a problem. i've only seen people get harassed when they're using those little 7 inch chain steering wheels. ...

i'll ask my brother today.. seeing as he's a cop he might know the answer :D

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys i went to the cali highway patrol and talked to an officer there while i was in cali... he said there is no law agaisnt changing your wheel and taking out your airbag as long as it doesnt make your car "unsafe" to drive for ex. it makes your car "weave"

if anything it makes you're car handle better because you have more control so its totally fine!

·
It's been a long time...
52 Posts
The problem still might be with your insurance company. You should let them know your car doesn't have the driver's airbag. If it's listed as something you have on their coverage sheet for your car, then they might try to avoid any compensation for anything from an accident. They'll try the: "Well since you didn't have an airbag, we aren't going to cover your nasal surgery because the airbag would have avoided this." Its the same with having to claim motor swaps, etc. If anything, your premium would increase some.

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
****, c man... good point. ill definately look into that, thanks for informing me. I can deifnately see the insurance agency screwing me over for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts