Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has developed a mildly annoying problem.

I was travelling from Melb - Geelong in 41 degree heat as read from the ambient temp on the climate control. I was cruising at 100kph. I had the aircon on full blast and it had reverted to recirc mode which is normal under high load conditions. The fan clutch had also locked up after it got to about half on the guage but then quickly dropped to 'N' again. I had 1/4 tank of fuel.

I moved lanes and without warning the engine lost all power. I had to move to the far right lane and stop. I attempted to start the car but all I got was a very rough engine that would cough and backfire then die. This went on for about 20 mins. A quick check underbonnet showed nothing abnormal. the longer I left the car turned off the longer it would go for when I started it. Finally it went for long enough that I could druive 500m to the offramp where it was safer to pop the bonnet and have a close look. I suspected it was vapour lock when i felt the fuel lines and they were very hot - hot that I couldnt hold my hand on them. After approx 90 mins from when this started the car started and went normally. I was able to drive to geelong and put more fuel in the tank. I put it down to the abnormally hot day and the fact I had aircon going at full.

Then the same thing happened tonight. 31 degree's cruising, No aircon use and 1/4 tank of fuel. Luckily i was a short distance from home so I was able to limp the car home. It displayed the same symptons as before but this time the car hadn't heated up at all. It's never done this before.

What could be causing the fuel lines to be gettins so hot especially when its not really under any load. I towed a tandem trailer the other day loaded and that gave the car a good work out and it went fine with even less fuel then today it craps its ass.

Any idea's or theries welcomed.

And yes that avatar pic is what it looks like...

·
197 Posts
My theory is the fuel pump is cavitating, or your fuel air mass temperature sensor is screwed. I replaced mine today actually and it made all the difference. On hot days its a real mole to start. starts first thing on cold mornings no worries. I looked high and low to what it could be, and using autotech on the computer i found the air mass temp switch. As soon as the temp got to 25 degrees celcius the switch went open circuit. The readings for this sensor are as follows, at 20 degrees celcius it should be around 37 K ohms, at 80 degrees it should be around 8 k ohms. No kidding, this sensor can make your car run really hopeless. I thought my pressure reg was crook. The sensor is about 30 dollars retail from a Ford dealership.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Also check fuel filter. If it clogs, stopping for a while could allow the fuel to percolate through, giving enough fuel in the lines to run for a little bit. May be worth replacing anyway if it has never been replaced.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think it has more to do with the comp and sensors.

When running my car with a tricked water temp sens.. it never played up. But when hot and the comp controlling everything it would fain vapour lock and not run properly when restarted.

Whack the resistor back on and it would fire up and purr immediatly and run fine. Remove the resistor and put the wires back on the water temp sensor.. play up again.

who knows what the comp thinks its doing.. stupid backwards IV ECC.. its a pathetic engine management system

1 - 5 of 5 Posts