Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1964 ford thunderbird with the intentions of restoring it. I am now unsure whether or not it is worth my effort to get it restored. I believe it has the original engine. Body seems fair on it. Most issues I believe can be fixed. Does run- needs a good tune up or new gas. Interior was done several years ago and appears to be in good shape. Again, not sure if it is worth my while to restore or maybe strip it out and sell the parts. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
In restorations, big money is generally found with special editions with a few exceptions. Some will gamble with how cars are trending, but the T-bird really hasn't gained any traction and I don't know of a popular lines like the Shelby series or the Yenko's. You build it for the love of the car. If there is no excitement on your part in either seeing the car in it's original glory or modernized with a restomod, it's not likely you'll get your money out of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's another question. I decided to sell my thunderbird as is and one question that was brought us was the number on the data plate on the door of the thunderbird. I have the original owners manual when the car was purchased in 1964, and the number does not match the door data plate. Is there a way to tell if this was changed. I see it was riveted on the door and seems a little loose. The front of car radiator support has the vin# and this definitely does match the vin number on the title. Is this something that I should be concerned about??? Thanks for any help!!!

·
1,836 Posts
Here's another question. I decided to sell my thunderbird as is and one question that was brought us was the number on the data plate on the door of the thunderbird. I have the original owners manual when the car was purchased in 1964, and the number does not match the door data plate. Is there a way to tell if this was changed. I see it was riveted on the door and seems a little loose. The front of car radiator support has the vin# and this definitely does match the vin number on the title. Is this something that I should be concerned about??? Thanks for any help!!!
The left front door was likely changed due to rot out on the original. The other locations for the VIN are the upper radiator support on the right side, the front edge of the cowl on the right side, just in front of the right washer nozzle, and on the inner cowl, just under the painted cowl panel/screen.

·
1,836 Posts
And might I note that T-Bird values, specifically 64-66 has slowly come up over the years. The ones that will generate the highest value are the convertibles. But not muscle car or ultra rare car values.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts