Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mulberry Rain
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No longer than three months ago we bought a second hand series II AU Futura. It has travelled fairly far but is nonethless in very good condition.

However, I have two occurances that puzzle me.

1. It seems to be leaking water from underneath the boot area? I saw it yesterday after rain from earlier in the day, and it was the only car in the carpark with water underneath (the rear side of it). After we sat in it, it started dripping in a new spot.
When I drove to work today I confirmed in the morning that water drops followed the car to the car park - what could this be for such a new car?

2. Particularly when it is cold, and/or after rain, the wheels on the passenger side squeel when you turn right. It isn't caused by brakes but is a similar sound (only louder)

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
With the water, you'll have to try to trace it back, but I'd be willing to bet on the heater hoses leaking. They go through the bulkhead on the passenger side, about halfway up.

NFI on number 2 :) Is it both wheels, or just the front one? I have a vague idea it may be the wheel bearings need nipping up/replacing....

·
Mulberry Rain
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mongrelEB said:
NFI on number 2 :) Is it both wheels, or just the front one? I have a vague idea it may be the wheel bearings need nipping up/replacing....
Its hard to say.. it sounds like its just the front wheel.

Thanks for your help :)

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
As it's from the rear it won't be the heater hoses - they are in the front firewall. The leak might more likely be a result of the seller preparing the car for sale by pressure and steam cleaning the underside. The may have pushed the bung under spare tyre out with the water spray and filled the cavity with water; lift out the spare and check for an unplugged hole. Common on country cars that need the gravel mud removed before sale.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
You may have some water in your boot after recent rain? Sounds like your hanbrake is sticking on. Needs some good ole lube & tlc...

·
Mulberry Rain
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your help guys...:s2:
I'll have a closer look at these suggestions on the weekend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh man, this is the same thing that is happening to mine. I have found that it only leaks when I am parked in my driveway. Which steeply slopes forward. I have the same model AU with 111K on the clock. When I contacted my local ford dealer (strapp ford) they didn't want to know about it as they claimed it to be out of warranty. Even though I have tracked the leak now, and have discovered that its part of a manufacturing fault I have since then made contact directly with Ford Public Relations, and they are going to see what they can do...stay tuned for more info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts