Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see from an online trans chart that the 4F50N trans is used in the Monterey and Freestar of 2006. Official info says that only those two vehicles share a trans in that year. However, the online chart shows a LOT of vehicles using that same trans number. Does that mean that the trans would be compatible from all those vehicles? My Monterey needs a fresh trans. If I can only pick from Freestar/Monterey my choices go WAY down and are expensive. If I can pick from all vehicles that use that number of trans my options go way up. See?

From the chart it says that Taurus, Sable, Continental, Windstar plus Freestar and Monterey all use the same trans in some year models.

Here's the chart link: Automatic Transmission Application Identification

What am I missing when official info only gives 2 vehicles using this trans while the chart shows several more?

Also, the chart gives a "sub number" of AX4N -- maybe that's a base trans? I talked to someone who bought a AX4N for his vehicle that used it and yet it didn't fit. So apparently not all such trans are alike.

Is there a number we can honestly go by? Or should I just stick to the "rules" without explanation?

Thanks! --JP

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
What is wrong with the Trans that's in your van? And as far as other cars using the 4f50. Yes other cars use it. But they are probably not compatible. Different cars have different conv stahl and different gear ratios. If the parts swap guide only lists those specific years and model there is a reason.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The chain is slipping in my trans, acc to the trans shop. It goes 'clunk clunk clunk' when I apply power and it'll easily pop out of gear entirely. If I pull over then move the lever it'll go back into gear but I can't apply hardly any power.

Shop says I need a rebuild. $1700-2000. Seems like it might be cheaper to find a used good trans and just install it. Also, this trans was worked on a lot at another dealership about 50k miles ago (in a town where it stranded the previous/original owners, our friends). It's past warranty on the repair work, but I'm thinking it's a glitchy trans anyway.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Overall not a bad unit. Usually the splines in the torque converter that drive the fluid pump strip out. Stops pulling entirely. New converter usually fixes it and not many other common issues. Have done a couple with chain issues but it's pretty rare in my area.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a glitchy tranny. Got our 2003 Windstar back from the shop because of no luck finding a used one after 2 weeks of searching. The shop said that trans. has a high failure rate and extremely difficult to find a used one in working order. Other research shows too many others with that trans failing. It's a light duty tranny which has difficulty of handling the torque of the 3.8L and higher.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi... Reviving my old thread! I got a used trans 5 yrs ago. It ran fine until a week ago. Blew front seal. Now looking for another! I see that nobody REALLY helped me with my trans model number problem. ...Which I am running into again. Sheesh. Wiki uses the trans part numbers 4F50N/AX4N *interchangeably* for LOTS of vehicles -- incl my 06 minivan. ...But eBay compatibility check disagrees! So I'm back to being nervous again. One thing I notice is *floor shift* being called out. Does that matter? Do I need to get the right shift location? I think not! The part number would change! I'm not changing my shifter, but the trans. Whew, any ideas? I forget which part I bought 5 yrs ago... rats!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that looks like a decent source for parts but doesnt say anything at all about part numbers. maybe i'm using it wrong?

...if i just bought a 4F50N/AX4N trans off of ebay i could get it cheaper, delivered, w 6 month warranty... and all the official info says they're compatible... EXCEPT i see stories like the above and then ebay also says they're not compatible.

if that's not the right part number, what is?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts