Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Safety Commitee Tim
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying my best here to ruffle a few white winged feathers .. so my question is ... "Is tickford enhanced xr6's running from ED-EL really worth the extra $$$
on top of a standard model car with mods?

. My reason for asking is a ED XR6 is 10k whereas and ED is 7k and 3k is alot of money to make that ED go faster. likewise with the 8k for an EF then the 12k for its XR6 , and so on for the EL. So putting the re-sale value AND CREDABILITY AND NAME aside would you be better off buying say and EF/EL, slamming her, and doing a nice setup thru zorst nd intake and spending as much as u would for a stock tickford counterpart to gain better performance ?

obviously somebody who has an XR6 with mods will then put you back to sq1 but when talking in general would it be correct to say there wouldnt be much diffreence between xr6's and modded i6's and also which i6 is the best performer all round for features .. styling wise i like the EF outside , but EL inside and the ED for it's timeless shape ...but performance and features as far as stock goes is it ED EF or EL ?

bY a set up i mean zorst , intake , Cam , possibly a chip ... not talking turbs either or blowers ... or JMM at this point. Or would you be wise buying a rock stocky EF and getting JMM say 3 or 4 or 5 ? would this be stomping modded tickfords from EDXR6 - ELXR6 ?? maybe even getting "wtf" from v8 rivals ?

boothy

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
The only real difference IMO beteween XR and stock is the head - its ported, has a slightly better cam, and springs are a little stronger.
The only way an XR is worth paying for is resale value, otherwise buy a cheapo GL and go nuts with the savings :) If you save $3k you can spend that on exhaust, headwork, etc and still have a car as fast as or faster than a modded XR.

I'm obviously biased here but i reckon you should get an EA (lightest) for like a grand, then spend the other $9k doing a total rebuild better than stock. EF interiors will bolt in if that's what you like, and believe me an EA which has had $9k spent on it will piss all over any mere EF XR6 and many v8s hehehehe
Hell, you'd probably have enough left over to turbo it!

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
You have the insurance factor too - a 1k EA with 9k mods will be worth market value, not what you have spent on it. Same for resale time. XR's seem to hold on to their value a lot better. Some insurance companies won't let you modify your car, and in which case, a stock XR is better than an uninsurable modified one.

I personally like the XR's for the total package. Not just the motor.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Ignoring what you said, just do the maths - work out what you need to spend to get it up to scratch, and see which way works better.
Insurance wise, you will probably be able to insure for higher with a xr, but at the same time, many places will not insure an XR *at all*, but will cover a gli thats been heavily worked (go figure). But CHECK insurance first - at 18, insuring a tricycle can be hard :p
At the end of the day, if your going to do exhaust, suspension, cam and intake, there isn't much left that is different - mechanically, is pretty much diff, chip, and some mild head work. However, styling (external and interior) is also a consideration. The only other thing is availability - non XR's are going to be much harder to find in manual form.

As for the ED/EF/EL - i'd go the EL, simply since its newer, and I'm not a fan of the ED's interior . . .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dont forgot that the XR6's also come standard with stuff such as 3:45 LSD and sports suspension as well as awesome styling if your looking at an EF/EL XR6 with the full tickford kit <----i love those they look damn hot :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts