Ford Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's apparent that with gas prices increasing, many of us are forced to buy a lower oct rated gasoline in order to save money. But look no farther. I've just located a few stations around our area which are now carrying E85 fuels. So in order to get off foreign oil dependency and if you drive the 2.0L I4 engine, you're set up to handle the E85 (110 oct) fuels. we switched from 87-89 oct because these fuels have bene making the van's engine sputter and idle rough. We're not getting any error codes. But the poor acceleration using these fuels makes me think the station we're buy the fuel from are using a cheaper fuel in order for them to make money.

E85stationsPump.jpg.2edc60404ad9b36b9a9acf1202ddab5e.jpg

We took a chance last weekend and purchase the first tank of E85 for the van. Typically the 87 oct would cost us $60.00 per fill up. But the E85 now costing $3.58 per gal was a no brainer. We've reset the fuel economy dial and keep checking the reading every other day. So far we're getting the same fuel economy as if we were still running on the 87 oct gasoline. Not sure what if any saving we should be seeing, but knowing that we saved $20.00 at the pump with the first fill up, I was able to take the wife to breakfast.

E85.thumb.jpg.aae7b363cda9948ce65be073642a212f.jpg

Again, if you drive a TC with the 2.0L engine, then you very capable of handling the E85 fuels. make a point to start using these E fuels today and get off foreign oil dependency

Update:

After 4 days of running just on corn biproduct, the van's running smoother as the E fuels has nearly eliminated the sluggish sputtering sounds. This morning was the quietest I've ever heard the van run. so smoother.. The fuel economy is hanging steady at 22.8. But with the van running this smoother, I've been using the eco mode more often than not.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We're very happy to report our current findings while running E85 in the van for 4 days.
  1. The van is running smoother and very quite.
  2. The van has tons of boost and pick up with less lag time
  3. We're not noticing any bad small as some have said fumes can smell like wet socks.
  4. There's no more sputtering or harsh engine noise
  5. The Average fuel economy is holding steady even after resetting the dial. Currently 22.8
  6. Paid $40.00 at the fill as compared to paying 60.00 running 87 oct (savings 20.00 bucks)
  7. Just ordered a case of the STP E fuel treatment from amazon, because this item can't be found within our state.
  8. Come Nov we're having our emissions test and I can't wait to see the results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts