Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an EL 4.0LFutura with about 180,000 on the clock. About 2 months ago I noticed that sometimes when the trans changed into 4th, it seemed to rev up about 250rpm-500rpm, and then drop back down to normal. Thinking the trans was just about cactus, I took it to an auto place, they replaced the solenoid they believe caused the problem and serviced the tranny. It was ok for a day, then it did it again. I noticed that if I turn the car off, and restart it, it usually goes away. It doesn't do it all the time and it doesn't matter if it's hot, cold, economy or power mode or before or after driving. I have noticed that when it changes into 3rd, the revs drop down more than normal. Could this be a computer issue?? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
My EF was doing this, I just replaced all the fluid (replace the whole 10 litres) with new stuff (Castrol TQ-95), and it hasn't done it since. May be worth your while, a service only replaces about 1/3 of it, the other shit 2/3 is still in the box.

cheers

·
Wheelman
147 Posts
Just had my EL Tranny serviced for harsh changing between shifts, most noticeably 1st-2nd. There are 2 solenoids to look at ......... the cheap one around $180 odd and the expensive one @ $450 odd. They replaced the cheap one first and had no joy. The 2nd one was then replaced and was a special part ordered directly off BTR apparently. I think it is the solenoid that controls the quality of the shift. All up it cost me $650 and has now fixed the problem.
I was told the little neoprene balls also degrade over time and need to replaced although I'm not sure how this affects the shifting.

G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts