Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Probe GT Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know what it sounds like when you come off the highway and step on the brakes with a car that has warped rotors? You know that "Wub Wub Wub Wub" sound? Well my car is doing this but it does it above 50 mph while steping on the gas. You can still feel and here it when you let off the gas but its worse when you step on it. It seems like it all started when I proceed to take a right hand turn into traffic today. Had to stand on it due to a on coming car. Had some wheel spin but turned into wheel hop. Soon after that I noticed this noise. Pulled the wheel off the car and looked at the rotor, brake pads and surrounding areas and everything looks OK. Proceeded to a parking lot and did a few cirlces with no noticible noises that would indicate a bad CV joint. All the bushings look OK so I am not sure what it is. Thanks for any insight in advanced.

·
Probe GT Member
23 Posts
Could be a whole lot of things.
One thing to look at is the dustshield behind the rotor. When I got my Probe it made all kinds of funny noises, but not consistantly. Turns out the dustshield was rubbing the rotor in 2 or 3 places.
Easily re-bend by hand.

·
Probe GT Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope not the dust shield. Like I said this all started after I wheel hopped the front end. Jacked the car up and did a visual inspection of all the bushings, rotors, brake pads, etc. I have it scheduled to go into the shop this friday. Guy at the front desk said that it could be a wheel bearing. Could wheel hop do that to a wheel bearing? Could be CV joint but I thought if it was going out you could hear a popping noise when turning which is not the case here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem.. it is only there once i a while, prob. just heard it 3 or 4 times. I am thinking it might be the bearing.

·
Probe GT Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have now determined that it is coming from the drivers side wheel area. Its getting worse, and it sounds like my wheel is going to fall off. It is very noticable at low speeds but quiets down when you step on the gas and step on the brake. The wheel is tight. It sounds horrible at highway speeds. I take it in tomorrow so we will see.

·
Women Like my Probe :)
50 Posts
I had this problem with the first gen, I thought I had a warped rotor cause it started after I replaced the old rotor, then I thought my brake caliper was shot, unfortunatley the wheel bearings shattered and then I knew what the problem was..... I had jacked the car up and tried to move the wheel (before when I was trying to figure it out) and there was no movement that would indicate a bad bearing.

G

·
I have a problem also with my passenger side front wheel.
when I make tight turns under alot of torque..say pulling out of an intersection or driveway while turning left I heard a knocking type sound in the right side. I had it in and they replaced both half shafts on both sides, because at first the sound was on both sides when I turned. Now its just on the passenger side. Also I'm not sure if the sounds are related but when I'm driving and down above 40 you can hear a noticable humming which was not in the car when I bought it. I have to get it back in the shop cause this is still covered under the warrently from the first repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts