Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After contemplating doing a conversion from auto to "supposively" 5 speed, I managed to score a gearbox for the right price from an XF falcon wagon. When I got it, it was out of the car but was claimed to be a good box. The bloke that gave it too me said that he thought is was a 5 speed but when I felt for 5th I wasnt too sure. I ran the numbers through Ford and I was told that it was a 5 speed heavy duity from a 3.3L. I bolted it up and with a little stuffing around with the front uni joint and yoke, took it out for a spin only to find 4 gears + reverse. (4th gear is running at 2600 rpm at 100km/h)

Does anyone know what the hell is going on? I heard a story that the box is set up for 5 forward gears but one of the linkages are not connected. It could be because the 3.3L motor has less torque therefore probably doesnt have enough guts to drive 5th gear.

Is it at all possible to rig it so I can get that 5th gear or is it not worth while???

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
The 3.3L 5 speed (from an XE) was not really strong, and the 5sp was not available with the 4.1 until XF Series 2.

I wouldn't believe that story about the linkage not being connected... If it was built with 5 gears, they all would be connected.

What car have you got it in??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought EBXR. But I ran the numbers through my local ford dealer and he got that info from the computer so Im guessing that it is correct (well obviously not).

The box came out of an XF Wagon and I put it into a 25th anniversary FX Falcon Sedan (my pride and joy - Custom console and telemetry, and about to have a little tinker done to the powerhouse) only to find it was 4 on the floor not 5. The story about the 5 gears and 4 linkage setup came from that same dude at ford.

The box itself in regards to construction, is a little smaller than the single rail and has an upper half of the box constructed of alloy and the lower of cast iron.

Really bizarre???

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
This box is what they call a borg warner short. The 5 speed and 4 speed are the same, except they should have a big "4" or "5" on the side of the case. Inside, the 4 speed just doesn't have the fifth gear assy. This box will not live very long behind a 250. They are essentially the same box as a VK 202 and a 2.6L Sigma.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
But now you have the bellhousing, assuming the input shafts are the same length, you should be able to put a T5 behind your motor....

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Where is reverse located? to the right of 4th or to the left of 1st?

even if it is a 5spd from a 3.3 It will break soon enough. They are not strong enough to handle stock power from a 4.1, which is why they wree never an option for them.

Have you got any pics of the box? the half iron, half alloy sounds really weird.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
mongrelEB said:
But now you have the bellhousing, assuming the input shafts are the same length, you should be able to put a T5 behind your motor....
Don't bother. The B/W short has a semi-integral B/H. It houses the front bearings and input shaft seal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right in regards to the number stamped on the side of the box and it has the number 5 on it. This is just plain weird.

5th is located left and up exactly as the single rail box is. The selector is exactly the same as the single rail as well.

Ill see if I can get hold of a digital camera or somthing and get a shot for you. I think Its just one of those freak things that have occured in the middle of the design process.

I did think about the strenght of the box before I put it in however I tend to treat this car with kitten gloves. Ive got two other cars to do burnouts in and this is really just a car for getting around the joints with a bit of style. I figured if I dont drop the clutch too often, It should last a little while (then again I still tend to do it every now and then as one does).

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Assume you mean reverse and not 5th in regards to position. The box has probably broken fifth gear, (they are legendary for it), and someone has just removed it from the case.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it possible. It also doesnt have the return spring. You know the spring which brings the neutral above and below 3rd and 4th. I cant feel the shifter moving across any further than 3rd and 4th to the right. Is it possible to have the broken 5th and still move it over to the right??

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Anything is possible once it has been pulled apart.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that I think about it, Im a little worried about the strength of the box. Ford say that it is a 3.3l "Heavy Duity" but behind a 4.1 as MADXF stated might go bang! I might drop it out and take a look inside and see if it is starting to yeild. When the guy who gave it too me had it out, he stripped it and cleaned it out. I might do the same and try to find if it had the 5th gearing in it as well. Even though I treat this car pretty well, I dont really want the box to snap half way to wherever. I do give it a bit of a squirt every now and then as we all do but I dont want to break it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts