Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, how I've missed you, sweet sweet bandwidth... :D

Cable FINALLY went in today, and beeee-loody hell do I have some catching up to do! 7 weeks of part time dialup with the occasional 1/2 hr cable session at a friends house has almost wrecked me, especially with my FF addiction.

Couldn't get Optus since they apparently don't do cable installs anywhere thats further than 10m from the cable on the road (WTF!?!!?), so had to settle for the inferior and capped Tel$tra version. But ... it's still cable.. :thumbup:

After that post-whoring session which we so convincingly won, I've REALLY got some to do myself to catch up to you lot!! :D

Just out of interest, who here is using broadband, and how are you finding your carriers (Optus, Tel$tra)?

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
1,151 Posts
I was using Optus cable for a short time in Sydney... i didnt think they had a download limit but was wrong... they had a 600mb download limit (per fortnight i think).
When my friend went over it they cut it off and placed a permanent ban on him.

As for Optus vision... complete **** IMO

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
eb_5litre said:
I was using Optus cable for a short time in Sydney... i didnt think they had a download limit but was wrong... they had a 600mb download limit (per fortnight i think).
When my friend went over it they cut it off and placed a permanent ban on him.

As for Optus vision... complete **** IMO
optus dont actually have a download "Limit" as such... just a "fair go" policy.

Basically if your usage (download AND upload) exceeds, the average customer usage by 10 times in a 14 day period, you will be cut off (if the average usage over 14 days is 5 gig, and your usage is 50 gig - you will get disconnected)

You will get a warning when you reach 8 times the average usage.

I am on Optus cable (and yes - I do work for optus as well!!) and I download average 200 meg a day. (sometimes over 500meg - this is over a couple of machines too!!) and I have NEVER even made it to 0.5 times the "Average usage" (usually 0.2 - 0.4)

So judging by those figures, "average usage" would be roughly 500 meg a day. So you will get disconnected after exceeding 70 gig per 14 day period.

P.S - yes I agree that optus vision is crap... I watch it all day at work, and cant stand it. I have foxtel at home :D :D

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Good to see you back as fulltime on ford forum Mike. I use good ol dialup at home, can't justify cable or adsl yet.

Hmmm 4 windows using a 56k modem is what i was doing most of the time at the post war. Modem has copt a trashing i reckon. :nuts: :nuts:

·
gone
10,402 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Good to see you back as fulltime on ford forum Mike. I use good ol dialup at home, can't justify cable or adsl yet.

Hmmm 4 windows using a 56k modem is what i was doing most of the time at the post war. Modem has copt a trashing i reckon. :nuts: :nuts:

adsl at home, getting worse as time goes by,

but a 28,800 connection at work which allowed 20 windows to run durring the WAR

·
EA Wagon Member
469 Posts
i got telstra cable and they been starting to piss me off lately, when they temporarily shut the net down in your area for repairs they don't even bother sending you anemal to let you know so you ring them up and after 30 minutes of getting switched between people they finally tell yathey are just updating them and it will be back up in a few hours

i don't even reckon they are updating i reckon the thing went down adn they had to fix it

also telstra's thing for measuring your download amount is screwed cos in february i downloaded about 25 gigs and it only showed up as 4.2 gigs and yet last month for 2 weeks i was on a holiday and so couldn't use the internet and didn't download anything really big the whoel month adn they reckon i used 13gigs yet they didn't send me a email saying to pay them extra money or nothing

the whole thing is screwed

and i spoke to the telstra guy and teh download limit they only monitor you until after 3 months ina row if you haven't got anywhere near it then they give you unlimited again apparently so i am gonna do that and get back my unlimited :)

telstra is screwed but ithink if by the time my contract is up they haven't improved i will be switching to optus but other than these above problems telstra is pretty good

good for gaming i get a ping anywhre from 8-90 ms so thats pretty good :D

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
The_Rat... the way the telstra ADSL network operates is there are some sites (can't remember the names offhand) that you can go to which you can download from for free without it being deducted from your limit as they are judged to be "internal" on the tel$tra (tosstra) network (now if i remember correctly wireplay is one such site) which means these downloads do not contribute to your total within the hard cap of 3Gb. which means that if you download over the #gb from wireplay alone you should be nowhere near your cap limit...which could have contributed to the fact you breached the mimit with nothing said.... then again I could be wrong, have been before.

It is also my understanding that once you hit the 3Gb cap you can only access the tel;stra website for email or wireplay, any external sites become unavaliable until the new month rolls in.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
DONUT KING said:
The_Rat... the way the telstra ADSL network operates is there are some sites (can't remember the names offhand) that you can go to which you can download from for free without it being deducted from your limit as they are judged to be "internal" on the tel$tra (tosstra) network (now if i remember correctly wireplay is one such site) which means these downloads do not contribute to your total within the hard cap of 3Gb.
Yeah Rat, the Telsta cable is the same. It's got them "free" sites which don't add to your meg usage. I think there's a list of them at the Bigpond Advance homepage? I've got it at work, and yes, it's been on and off lately with alot of unexplained disconnections.
:(
Mind you I love it! I come home to my old dial up modem and it frustrates me to buggery.:rolleyes:
Russell.

·
Forever Ford Follower
558 Posts
yeah i've got telstra cable too and i've been finding it pretty crap lately aswell.. it seems to be slowing down and i can only download consistenly at around 17kb.. i have friends in america that have cable and they download at around 156kb.. makes me annoyed. oh well. its better than dialup but its a bad habit for me seeing that the comp is always connected to the computer i spend to much time on FF.. haha oh well. :D

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
XLR8_2001 said:
yeah i've got telstra cable too and i've been finding it pretty crap lately aswell.. it seems to be slowing down and i can only download consistenly at around 17kb.. i have friends in america that have cable and they download at around 156kb.. makes me annoyed. oh well. its better than dialup but its a bad habit for me seeing that the comp is always connected to the computer i spend to much time on FF.. haha oh well. :D
Heheh on the T1 lan at uni I am getting speeds up to 0.5mb/s at times... then I go home and dial up through a mini lan I have set up there and get download speeds of like 2k/s max :( :( :( :( :(

·
Saving for a BA XR6t
171 Posts
Bigpond Cable here

no probs, the 3gb cap is wrong but my avg use is only 1.5gb heeh

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
XLR8_2001 said:
i can only download consistenly at around 17kb..
The best I can get is 4-5kb/s. Mind you I'm only on dial up at home.. No cable here yet.. :(

·
EA Wagon Member
469 Posts
ok thanks for the info guys

hopefully telstra gets better soon

but about not being able to visit sites once your download limit is reached tha tis wrong because my cousin went way over the limit last month and has to pay an extra 120 bucks or soemthing so he has sent emails off to them saying how **** it was cos he was only listening to a internet radio or something and to check emails

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
DONUT KING said:
The_Rat... the way the telstra ADSL network operates is there are some sites (can't remember the names offhand) that you can go to which you can download from for free without it being deducted from your limit as they are judged to be "internal" on the tel$tra (tosstra) network

I wonder if ford forum is covered by Telstra. :D :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts