Ford Forums banner

Its just getting worse

6K views 62 replies 22 participants last post by  EDFPV-6 
#1 ·
Driving down coburg yesterday to get my canary off i enterd a roundabout planting it half way through it tranny dropped from fourth to first and all that bloody dev-5 power sent me into 4 tank slappers and then finally into a parked vl commodre on the other side of the road. THe 4.11's didnt help the situation either. neway bonnet, right front quarter, front bar, front rail, radiator, transcooler, grille, front bar support, air con, headlights, indicators, and what eva else is located in the right front quarter of the car all need replacing plus some panel work and im not sure if the engine mounts have moved or not. if it wer'nt for the bloddy transcooler i coulda drove home having lost all my fluid, she wont start neway coz the fan is jammed up hard against radiator, does ne1 recomend ne panel beaters in melb and how much am i looking at for parts etc.....? i sure hope my dev-5 baby is ok

#3 ·
Have you got insurance??

If you are going to do it under insurance, I have some bad news. That will be a write-off.

I was the 3rd car in a 3 car nose-tail crash, and the middle car (ED XR6) had what sounds like a bit less damage than your car in the front alone to write it off.

But how do you do 4 tank slappers leaving a roundabout without backing off the throttle??

#4 ·
no 3rd party only its not going through them i just hope its calssified as a repairable write off

#7 ·
neva said i was proud mate, i bought the parked car for $450 which saved me hassels

#9 ·
did it look good atleast??? jokes!! not a good time for jokes though, so what was your cannary for, i almost got one last week for tyres, i had 2 cannary's in a month both 4 tyres!!! the second cop wasnt too impressed when i told him that i just got off defect for tyres.

my cousin was driving one of our relatives vs commy wagon and we wrote it off... well he did, he was driving, put it into 4 trees at 60+km every panel was rooted except for the two passenger doors, same with windows too all smashed except for them two, that was scary shit.

how does buying the car save hassels???

hope you werent hurt at all, and hope that dev5 pumping biatch is gonna be alright.

#11 ·
NZ said:
Sorry but im not familiar with the term 'tank slapper' haha. Care explaining it please? :s5
A tank slapper is when you are sideways, and either back off to quickly, or get traction, and the rear of the car kicks from one side to the other. Generally, if you get into one, either back off to regain traction properly, or just hit the brakes, so you are going slower if you hit something.

#13 ·
Yeah i think some advanced driving courses are in need. Tank slappa thats a new one. If you get ever get into shit. Cancel out whats causing the problem. So if your getting a powerslide cancel out throttle. If your in the skids cancel out brakes. Then look to where you want the car togo and steer there, do not look at what your going to hit becuase you will hit it.

Your hands will go where your eyes tell it to. If all else fails and you cant regain control, still look to where you want to go and brake. Also brake with no skidding. If you have ABS brake so that abs just comes on the back off a tiny bit. Thats your best point and quickest braking point. If no abs lock em up then back of until its not locked that will also be the best braking postion.

Hope these tips help for next time

#19 ·
well ummm yhe all happened pretty quickly so yhe by buying the vl i dont have to pay lady for insurance to fix her car up and the cops didnt see this either sooo shhhhh!!!

#20 ·
Thats tough luck mate....good luck with getting her back running!!!
i wouldnt say that luck was really involved in any way, apart from maybe helping him hit an unattended parked car and not a tarago full of kids coming the opposite direction...

mate, i feel for you, i know what its like to stack a car while attempting to have a bit of fun, and i was lucky also that i didnt injure myself or anyone else.

please do a defensive driving course or three, its much much cheaper than repairing your car after a crash.

the car may be a write-off, but a write off only means it will cost more to repair than to buy a new one, but judging by the mods list you have you will probably want to keep your car and fork out to repair it.

seeing as insurance is not involved you can make this decision yourself - if the car was comprehensively insured the insurance company would be deciding the fate of your car.

i hope the bill isnt too bad man, it sounds like you have a very nice ride.

drive safe peoples, and RIP 036BOA :(

#21 ·
AU1SIXA said:
Yeah i think some advanced driving courses are in need. Tank slappa thats a new one. If you get ever get into shit. Cancel out whats causing the problem. So if your getting a powerslide cancel out throttle. If your in the skids cancel out brakes. Then look to where you want the car togo and steer there, do not look at what your going to hit becuase you will hit it.

Your hands will go where your eyes tell it to. If all else fails and you cant regain control, still look to where you want to go and brake. Also brake with no skidding. If you have ABS brake so that abs just comes on the back off a tiny bit. Thats your best point and quickest braking point. If no abs lock em up then back of until its not locked that will also be the best braking postion.

Hope these tips help for next time
Some very wise words here, everyone should do advanced driver training of some type.

#22 ·
i think you should give me the dev5 kit and you should be driving that commo instead of a blueovel.

#23 ·
ummm how about nooo lolol ill keep my dev 5 thanx
does ne1 know if the ed cylinder head (91AA) will fit onto an ef block
and how about the exaust and diff???

#25 ·
ummmm so the entire ed head with rocker gear wont fit onto an ef block??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.