Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Safety Commitee Tim
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this jmm dev-3HL kit , says the power figure is 150kw , so thats rwkw? or could somebody give me an explanation of what that is on top of say the 110rwkw off and EDXR6 ,or am i not on the right path? and then maybe the estimated power of EDXR6 with a JMM 3HL in kw and rwkw.. and what sort of times you might get down the 1/4 ? and is it worth $2500 , or could you get more BFYB elsewhere ? do the exhasut systems sound any different to say a lukey or redback ?

cheers guys
tim

·
Ford Veteran
685 Posts
The power rated 150 kw is peak power at the rear wheels.
From an EDxr6 expect between 140-150rwkw. Quater mile times you should be expecting 14.8-15.2s. The exhaust system will sound like the redback setup, but with a mad set of extractors. If you were considering spending $1200-$1400 on a unichip might as well add another grand and get the dev5 kit which has head work etc. Brenden says minimal gains are expected from a unichip with their setup as they are designed to run with the standard ECU.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
What 'gmanEA' said.
I had a DEV3HL setup in my ute and it went really good, mine made 138kw but we learnt much later that we needed to do 3rd gear runs instead of 4th as the speed limiter was cutting in befor peak power arrived. Looking at the dyno curve we could expect over 140kw.

I do think it is an excellent 'complete' drive away package which really changes the car into something which quite easily hoses a lot of decent V8's.

I now have the DEV5 package and it produces 161kw.
Check this out to give you an idea of what the packages are like compared to standard and and EF XR8.
http://www.equinoxaudio.com.au/dynograph.html

Rick.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
It's the DEV3HL actually, which is identical except for a slightly higher lift cam, hence the 'HL', and around 10kw.
I already had a 2.5" exhaust, so I ordered the whole kit less exhaust, and fitted it all myself.
I saved over $1000 because of that.

After that I just ordered the complete DEV5 head+cam and used the rest of the stuff from the DEV3HL which is the same.

Rick.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
From memory the cams are around $480, vernier gear $180, valve springs $180, and extractors $480, spark plugs and leads are about $130.
Which is all you'd need if you have exhaust.

Rick.

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
If you're fitting the Dev 3HL to an XR6 engine then you probably won't need upgraded valve springs - I'm running a Dev 4 cam with EF XR6 springs no worries (she regularly sees just over 5000rpm).

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
I haven't had the car on a dyno - I used to think it went pretty good with the EFXR6 head and EFXR6 cam but the Dev cam has made it feel about twice as much improvement again as that combo was over std (all this with ED XR6 and then EL XR6 ECU).

I'm not sure about Dev 5 with XR 6 springs - I'd suspect that with an auto transmission you might get away with it but with a manual it'd be prudent to upgrade the springs - all I can suggest is ask Jim or Brendan about it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
yhe mock stuff is good i got 160rwks's on my ed from his dev-5 and with dev3hl ull neva get to the power figure he quotes maybe 10-15 actually ive neva heard of or seen a car that makes or exceeds it claimed dev3-5 power and ull find various "excuses" made by the mocks as to why this is but other than that there the only ppl u can go to if u want a complete tested kit. jus b4 my car went on the mock dyno i asked jim "u rekon itll make 170rwk's???" and he said in typical car salesman talk " i'd bet money on it" yhe how much??? also he is a bit overpriced. got quoted $2200 for a t-5 box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
As far as springs go - anyone contemplating buying upgraded valve springs for the 4.0 OHC I6 should really try to find out for certain whether 302 springs are interchangeable, because the 302 has been around for ages and there are all sorts of performance springs available for them at what I'd bet to be much better price than items specific to the I6 (often you see sets of springs etc. for 302 advertised at excellent prices by guys who have obviously had a project engine on the shelf for ages and finally decided to give it away).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts