Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peter and James Brock are going to battle against Dick and Steve Johnson at next year's Melbourne GP.

The Brock's will be in a 1987 VL Commodore and the Johnson's in a 1989 Ford Sierra RS500!!

This race will no doubt be a staged one as the VL produces around 450hp and the Sierra produces over 600hp and has 680Nm of torque not to mention 100kg lighter. It'd be great to see them though, but even better to see the Sierra crap all over the VL!

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
If its a true race the Sierra will thrash the VL, in qualifying trim the Sierra was said to punch out about 700hp.

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
Adam W said:
If its a true race the Sierra will thrash the VL, in qualifying trim the Sierra was said to punch out about 700hp.
Yep, I don't know why they went for such a mismatch, they should have gone back a little further and got the Greens Tuf XE vs one of the MHDT Commodores, even so I think the ball is firmly in the Johnsons court, SJ's almost certainly a much better driver than Jamie Brock and DJ/PB are on par.

Kieron

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
We should check if HSV are preparing the Commode & if AVESCO is playing clerk of course before jumping the gun!
Who me paranoid?:crazy1:

·
MkII Cortina Owner
529 Posts
Hey,

Just think MADevelopments in the UK have managed to put 550 odd horsies to the ground from a YB Cossie - and its the directors daily driver.

550 odd hp daily driver ... how hardcore would a race version be?

L8a,
Prud

·
Registered
499 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how steve adjusts from a powerful, torguey V8 to a temperamental, highly strung turbo four. "Geez, my foots flat to the floor and nothings happening, what's going on, this doesn't feel like 600hp, oh faaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrkkkkkk!"

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
HO HO HO! said:
It'll be interesting to see how steve adjusts from a powerful, torguey V8 to a temperamental, highly strung turbo four. "Geez, my foots flat to the floor and nothings happening, what's going on, this doesn't feel like 600hp, oh faaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrkkkkkk!"
Haha, it'd be funny wouldn't it. Imagine 600 horses coming on in a burst while revving up, crazy!!:s3
Russell.

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
The Sierra should kill it I have my doubts as to the cars reliability after so long but I'm sure Dick can sort it out. It will be interesting to see Junior in it.:wtf2:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Brock and Johnson raced this year at the Wanneroo V8 road. Xy GTHO v XU1 Torana, it's was good to watch, although staged as hell, as was the Langly Park Rally cars with Johnson v Brock on XR8 and SS sedans. Good fun and a croud puller though.

Remember Bowe talking about the RS500 Cossy in the wet, said with the boost wound up 300hp extra came on like the flick of a switch, imagine driving that baby in the wet.:crazy1: not much fun.

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
Mr Jucy said:
The Sierra should kill it I have my doubts as to the cars reliability after so long but I'm sure Dick can sort it out. It will be interesting to see Junior in it.:wtf2:
Don't worry about reliability, Dick knows how to screw a Cossie together, even if he tuned it for long distance racing/ultra reliability, it will walk all over the Commodore.

It will be like taking candy from a baby for the Johnsons, unfortunatly it will probably staged, just like the DJ vs PB Wanneroo matchup as BOF 351 mentioned.

Kieron

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
Kieron said:

Don't worry about reliability, Dick knows how to screw a Cossie together, even if he tuned it for long distance racing/ultra reliability, it will walk all over the Commodore.
And then be chucked out in post race scrutineering for something that had been OK all weekend!! But I'm not bitter, really!!!

G

·
Hi guys, I am a newly converted Ford man. I picked up the XR8 last week, But did you all support the turbo pommy cars in the late 80's for real. I was a Holden man then and with good reason. Now don't get me wrong I love Fords, but if it wasn't for Holden keeping with the "Big Bangers" and the Group A regs, then V8 Supercars wouldn't be here today. And dare I say it, XR8's or XR6's either...
I know you are all blue oval boys and I agree with the fact that a well tuned Sierra could thrash a Commodore, but as Australian performance car lovers shouldn't we praise the little old commodore for what it gave all Ford and Australian Race fans in the end...
And that is what we all enjoy today in both motor sport racing and our own cars.

G

·
Come on!!! Holden deserve it. Even as Ford fans you must see that. If not then u must like R32 Skylines and other ricer's as well. Maybe they should invite Jimmy Richards and his R32 back to whip both there arse's.

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
GTRs are my bitch I love killing them in my 79 Falcon.They wouldn't have a hope against todays V8 Supercars if the Sierras hadn't been slugged with so much extra weight & skinny tyres they could have matched them. I love 8s always will but the Sierra is still in my opinion the best 4 ever made.

·
MkII Cortina Owner
529 Posts
Hey,

Im a Ford guy through and through BUT if the R32GTR was allowed to race against the Sierra Im afraid the R32GTR would kinda kill it. Like it was before it was banned.

The R32 uses a motor capable of stupid amounts of power and a really clever chassis - RWD until the car sarts to get sideways. Then the front wheels start transmitting power. When you nail a GTR around a corner you can watch the front wheels' "torque guage" spin off the dial if your trying hard enough.

Especially when you consider that street driven R32/33/34 Skyline GTRs are capable of running in the 9s on a drag strip. These are cars that are fully registered, running street suspension, street tyres and street interiors - most of them are H pattern manuals. Imagine having a 9 second car legal on the street - and being able to run 9s without changing anything on the car.

Holden doesnt deserve credit for the re-introduction of the performance V8s. If there is any credit to be had its to be given to the GTR. But the V8 Supercar class was created as a reaction to having a Japanese car beat Dick Johnson at Bathurst, after it crashed and was brought back on the back of a towtruck - or a "vulture" as Moffat used to called them. I think having a crowd act so hostile to one of our more esteemed drivers - Jim Richards not Mark Skaife - would be more than enough cause for the creation of a class that embodied the heydays of Bathurst - Monaro/Torana vs GTHO.

Holden stuck with the V8 Commodore simply because thats all they had. Ford teams had the option of abandoning the idea of developing a car without factory assistance - Falcon after Ford Oz left racing - and racing a car with factory assistance - Sierras. If the Holden team(s) - I think there was only HDT/HRT and Perkins - had the option of a similar car to the Sierra, you can be well assured they would have done the same. The proof of this is Brocky driving a Sierra.

So dont give me the "be thankful for Holden 'cosine they gave us back V8s". They didnt. And it was Street Machine magazine with their campaign "V8s 'til 98" that kept Holden with the V8 option. Holden were about to drop the V8, same as Ford did. And if you remember, it was FORD who first built a performance V8 in Australia, available to the general public - the XRGT. Not Holden.

Ill take a breath now :razz:

Anyhow, thas a bit long for 2.5 cents (increased GST included), so think of it as me stretching you cents further.

L8a,
Prud

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
there is no way you could have a legal 9 sec car it may be registered but legal is a different matter.
I still feal Richards was more hostile then the crowd & we were ripped off either way

·
MkII Cortina Owner
529 Posts
Hey,

No the 9 second cars do exist, and a lot of them drive to the circuit. The RH9 cars usually make a big show of driving to the circuit. RH9 is a club reserved for "workshop" cars that run under 10 seconds in street trim. The Japanese regos are different from ours. But the biggest difference is the coppoers most drive Suzuki Cinos or Nissan Pulsars, and have no such thing as fixed speed cameras or use radar guns.

There was (still is actually) a car club that specialized in 200+ kph runs through Tokyo at 2 or 3 in the morning. The coppers knew about it, and all they tried to do was take a photo of the action so they could visit the owners the next day. Imagine doing 200+ through a city that has more than a few drunks - which Tokyo does at that time of the morning. Theres a few car clubs that specialize in High speed runs on the freeways of Japan - 350 kph and up. Again the coppers know about this stuff and all they try to do is take photos. Same with the illegal street racing and street drifting.

With any luck Ill be seeing more of this stuff in January. Im going to the Tokyo Auto Salon again in a week or sos time. Last time I was over there I was able to see a couple of cruises, drifting on circuits, and a night of illegal street racing. And yes - these cars do exist in reality and they are awesome to watch. Imagine watching a GTR launch so hard that it leaves 4 black tyre marks for 50+ metres. There are a lot of cars with serious power in Japan. This year I hope to see more drift, a drag race meeting and the cruises. The Japanese sound off vans have to be seen to be believed. All (most) the speakers are mounted in the back facing out the rear door. They park the van, open the rear hatch, and start blasting shite disco music. And then they dance to it. It is rather trippy.

As for the V8s, I think we were a little ripped off with the introduction of a 2 horse race system. I'd love to see other manufacturers involved - Japanese, European and American. Although they would have to make some sort of parity between the different types of engines and driveline configurations. Which would probably lead to something along the lines of the BTCC. Not too fast to race - too expensive to race.

L8a,
Prud

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
I know they exist but then again I drive my car on the street & its not legal I doubt there laws are that relaxed. I have heard from people in the know that the coppers are planning to use videos specail unmarked cars polair & the full bit to try & destroy Sydneys thriving illegal street drags.They will do a similar thing go to the peoples house the next day confiscate the cars & sell them at auction. The coppers I know don't seem to think that there is a problem with this but I can tell you now anyone who tries to steal my car will end up in a box copper or not. Sorry XA thats just the way it is

1 - 20 of 23 Posts