Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
spin 'em up
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
g'day
I own an eb falcon 6 cyl, I've always had troble with the thing throwing power steering belts, but since the extractors went on the problem got worse.
has anyone experienced the same problem,and is there a way of fixing it. Help,these belts are costing a small fortune!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Gota be unrelated phenomena..

The Ford power steering pumps don't always line up perfectly with the engine pulley, and you can get shim spacers to adjust. Suggest yours is a bit skewed, not uncommon...

Have a good look to see if the pulley is lined up perfectly.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Stop flogging it round corners :p

Nah seriously, what he said - check the condition of all three of the pulleys and ensure they're aligned correctly

Alex

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
get a new belt, one that doesnt have 'teeth' (for want of a better word) on the inside.

you can get them from holden dealers for like 6 bucks, and they work brilliantly.

my car started to do that heaps a while ago, when i had a bosch belt, i replaced the power steer pump pulley, the idler pulley, and even the bloody harmoniv balancer to try and stop it, and all the while it would flick off and take out the alternator belt at the same time, i went through about 4 alt and power steer belts before getting the AC delco one, and it fixed it straight away!!! i spent like $150 bucks when i could have just bought a $6 belt!

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
I spose that would work, Rollin, ya Bodgee Barstool, but it wont repair the problem if any.
what do you mean? the problem is that something happens to the belt, i think maybe the 'cords' inside it break or something, so it can stretch under load and flick off... thats my guess anyway.

but you need to get a belt without the little 'acrossways' ridges on it like the bosh ones have - it has to be smooth on the inside or it will flick off - both my EBs have done exactly the same thing, but it never clicked when i had my first EB, cause i just bought a new belt and by coincedence it had no 'teeth'

anyway - for $6 its a pretty damn cheap guess...

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Rollin - possibly the teeth were catching on the slightly misaligned pulley edges and flicking the belt off?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
The teeth belts you are talking about are nothing more than an idea that with the increased surface area they will cool quicker so wont get so hot so theortically last longer, but having used both have found no difference between the different types.

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts