Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a wrecked EA 30th Anniversary Edition car from the auctions for $600.... it's got one damaged panel, crumbled bonnet and smashed front light and the chassis may be bent(unknown at the moment) but everything else seems to be in perfect order. We pulled the front of the car to remove a small bend in the front metal part(was pushing fan against radiator) and started it up and it seemed to run perfec apart from the power steering pump pulley being bent. I'm only using it for parts so i'm not concerned if the chassis is bent or not.

Anyways in the front of the car instead of the normal two bucket seats, it has one long bench seat in it and a column shift 4 speed automatic. Also above the drivers side door there is a little interior light switch which can turn the interior light off when the door is opened. I've been told that the cops use that type of thing. Does anyone know if they made any Police cars with the 30th Anniversary models? I reackon a cop car would look pretty funny with the little "30th Anniversary" badge thing sticking out of the bonnet... hehe.

I'm pretty sure it's not a Taxi either, cos the speedometer only has 240 000km clocked up... however it is only a 3.9L CFI, and coppers wouldn't have used this would they? Does anyone know what other types of mods they did to the Police cars so I can check and see if it really is.

Thanks

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
hehe sounds good matey!

Actually, Sundeep (owner of the EF-EL Club) has an EA 30th Ann ex-cop car, CFI and all. He'd be able to provide more info. :)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Well here's what I know about 1990-91 Falcon Police cars...

*CPI
*2 Holes about 10cm apart in A-Pillar trim
*Glove box light trigger wire cut
*Boot emergency release solenoid cut and removed
*30th Ann. "Falcon in Flight" badges and "4spd Elec." badges removed.
*Holes in centre console storage areas
*Premium lighting (Map reading lights above back doors etc)
*Holes on top of the passenger side door in the roof lining, next to the sun visor.

If it is a column shift auto with bench seat, then it most likely wont be a Police car.

I hope that was of use to you. I have gathered all that information from closely checking our own EA and a friends which turned out to have holes in all the places ours did.

If you would like to know more information call 1800 333 306. Tell them your VIN and they will provide all factory records of the car.

Sundeep

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mystery deepens...

Hi Sundeep thanks for your help, I'll be able to check the things you just said when I next go to get parts off the car(it's at a friends place)

I went to get some more parts off it today.... checked the little light switch thing above the drivers door again and it ONLY turns the light off when the door is open(can't turn light on while door is closed).... so I can't really think of many people using that other then cops or security guards.

Also I've noticed some more weird shit in the car today..... there is a round hole in the back rear sun visor thing.... like where a nice big antannae would stick out.... and inside the car there is a microphone and mini speaker above the drivers seat on the roof.

I can't remember if the car had the little reading lights in the back like what my S-Pac has, but I do remember for sure that it has the premium lighting on the the main interior light(the little extra shine forwards ones). Didn't the 30th Anniversary ones come with these lights standard?

It has got all the badges on it still, but this may have been done when the car was fixed for public sale maybe, or is it possible for it to be a undercover cop car? The paint looks ammaculate for a EA like it's been resprayed.

Sundeep what do you mean by "CPI"?

For the boot solenoid I'm guessing you mean using the button inside the car instead of using the key? We did notice that the boot release button was working really really dodgy(would sometimes work... other times not).. don't know if it's a wiring problem or the solenoids stuffed as yet. Was the solenoid cut out completely, or was the wires just snipped?

Anyways I'll check the other things you said... maybe I can finally have closure on this... :cheer:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
CPI = One of the two engine variants that were available for the EA. It stands for Centre Point Injection, whereas the 2nd and better variant was the MPI (Multi Point Injection).

To check whether it is a CPI or MPFI is simple. The CPI had a grey (steel coloured) rocker cover, while the MPI had a Dark Grey/Black one.

The energency release solenoid (as outlined in the manual) has been cut and removed. It is usually located (from memory) behind the LHS trim panel in the boot.

The speaker, microphone and antenna point more towards the car being owned by a company earlier in it's life.

Government Vehicles are usually auctioned off when they are no longer needed. Auctioneers dont give a hoot about badging, let alone care to bother fixing these things.

Then again, you could always call Ford on the number given in my other post. They should be able to settle you dilemma.

Does it have the original manual? If it does, then bingo. Check original owner details/service details and your done.

Sundeep

·
E-Series Acting VP
1,432 Posts
If it is a column shift auto with bench seat, then it most likely wont be a Police car.
Actually, my Dad had an ex-cop EA, CFI with bench seat and column auto. Came from Queensland Police, then became a Taxi, then had to put up with my Dad's driving for another 2.5 years. Poor bloody car......

It's still going strong though! 1,545,000 kms on the original motor (reco tranny and head, though). I know the bloke who owns it now, and he reckons it still goes ok (even though it has no power). Built ford tough, alright!!!

Dave

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanatos I live and bought this car in Queensland... so I guess that means it could be a cop car with that setup. The only bit I don't understand is the added 30th Anniversary badges all over the car... which i really think would look funny on a cop car. Was your dad's ex-cop car a 30th Anniv Edition and if so did it have all the badging on it?

Also the mic and mini speaker above the drivers roof, is this something the coppers would use or do they usually use just the Police CB Radio handset thingy?

I hope the mic and mini speaker are not a Taxi thing, cos that probably means most of the stuff on the car has been abused to shit.... but this could be a good thing too if the parts I am planning on taking off it have been renewed recently.

The Car has only got 240 000K on the clicker, so unless the dash has been replaced or the car has done over 1.24 Million Km the I don't think that it has been driven for something like that anyways.

Sundeep I'll ring that number up when I get a chance, though I have a bad feeling it's going to be like ringing a bank up... hehe. It doesn't have any manuals in it at all, so I don't know any history of the car. Also it has CPI(I call it CFI)

Anyways Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
All those things don't apply if your in QLD lol.

Just ring Ford damn you! Free Call 1800 333 306

Sundeep

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a extra question for sundeep,

Does the Police EA's come with like "powerchip" computers installed or any other upgraded parts... I need to know so I can put them in my car if they do :HAHA:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I have no idea.

I wrote a letter to the Chief Commissioners office requesting information on E-Series police cars a year ago. They got the message wrong and sent me a reply saying that they didn't store records on individual vehicles.

I'll write in again because there are a lot of questions being asked about police cars, and some answers are needed!!!

Sundeep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Sundeep
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing