Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming back from ..................... and i saw a convoy of AV Falcons! There were no Tickford models that i could make out aside from the AUII XR8 chase car. From what I could tell about the lights front and rear, as well as the general proportions (car bras and taping aside) they looked brilliant and will more than answer all the current Falcon's critics. Geoff Polites is dead right in stating that they will be worth the wait! All I can say is that Holden better enjoy their success while it lasts, cos when this baby comes out with great looks to complement its engeneering depth and performance, GMH will no longer be so smiling so loudly. I got a hunch that this Falcon is gonna swoop on its prey like no other Falcon before ( XR-XY falcons excepted!)

·
ex-Ford owner
519 Posts
So the AV's are out there being road tested already, when we haven't even yet seen the AUIII.

I wonder if the AUIII was really worth it, and if they should have justed waited on the release of the AV and bought the release date forward (if that is actually possible).

Still, I'd hate for Ford to rush out a new model and then be plagued with quality issues.

·
Classic Capri Member
153 Posts
So what are the proportions like on the sedans.

Does the rear not curve in and swoop down anymore???

Tell us more.

·
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanna be careful how much I say cos I agree with some other members of this forum that anyone can check this site (friend or foe) and I'd hate to jeopardise Ford's security. Needless to say criticisms such as AU's droopy tail (and to a lesser extent the front) have been seriously addressed and the new front lights are simply sensational looking. I wonder what the AV XR front will look like. It's gonna have to be something to topple the standard Falcon front! It's a more conventional shape at each quarter and that's all I'm gonna say. All everyone needs to know is your gonna love it, as will the general public. As Geoff said on this site; it's gonna be worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
hp, you say the lights look great? I find it amazing that you could make out the lights and front and rear of the car look like from all the tape and car bras usually found on the front and rear of test cars, take a look at pics of the AU1 test mule and no one can tell me they can see what the front or rear of the car looks like and whether it looked good or not.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
As I said if it was anything like the AU, and I imagine it would be even heavier covered than the AU was, no one can tell me the AU either looks great or looks like a pig, the whole reason for the covers.

Attachments

·
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The carbra/taping was no where near as messy and OTT as it is on your AU attachment. I could make out the car's proportions and front lights very clearly as they were clearly showing through clear plastic. I liked what I saw and if i look at your AU attachment, that car looks just plain awful. If the cars I saw today were represented like your example, I certaintly would not be as excited over them as Iam. I understand your scepticism, but I know what i saw and I'm not one to over exagerate.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
That top news HPDude. Pitty you had no camera, could've made yourself some money.

So do you think the car has alot of AUDI flavor to it as believed by the media??

·
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JEM, they didn't strike me as being particularly AUDI like (if you know what I mean). They seem distinctively Ford (which I mean in a good way!) but with major attention to the areas of the AU that got adverse comment. It would have been nice to get some snaps so I could look at them (to hold me over) until they properly come out!

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
did u see todays cars guide in the age....apparently while driving round bachaus marsh some fellas driving an av rolled...One good way to test saftey i guess

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
FoMoCo4eva said:
did u see todays cars guide in the age....apparently while driving round bachaus marsh some fellas driving an av rolled...One good way to test saftey i guess
Did the person get out ok? - a reason why side impact/roll over airbag curtains are so important.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
It's a good sign, they've built AV testing mules, that is to say that it won't be too long untill they're released, the fact that no one has pictures of the cars yet is a total miracle!!!

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
I think that the reason behind why Noone has seen the AV Falcons out n about is because theyre so similar to the AU falcons. What i'm thinking Ford is doing is just getting an AU shell, modifying it slightly for the rumoured IRS improvement(s), new motor(s), etc. So to you and I we'll all think its another AU Falcon running around on the streets, while all the bodywork is done behind closed doors.. Besides, carbras were invented for a reason in the first place, primarily to prevent stones n stuff from damaging expensive bodywork, so its theoretically possible for an AU XR8, being seen in the country, to be seen with a carbra, because the owner doesn't want his (or her!) baby all scratched up..

I'm on Fords side with the new Falcon, its best if its kept a secret from all and sundry, mainly because spy shots are easily taken out of context, and a new model could be bagged to death before its even released. I'm thinking the AU Falcon is like the Leyland P76 - a masterpiece in its time, brought to an untimely demise by the unadoring public.. Don't want a repeat of this, do we?

·
Jaguar X-Type
199 Posts
The AU falcon has grown on me with time. Like when the first new GTV AlfaRomeos came out 97/98. There shape was really different and threw me off at first.. but now.. its 2001, they still look current and I don't think anyone would say theyre ugly.

Im thinking the AU falcon enabled Ford to make a big design leap (maybe too big at the time).. but I think now it will start paying some dividends... as when making the AV falcon theyre working from a still very modern shape.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You're probably right. In the showroom section, some one (i can't remember who) has an excellant silver AU XR8 with big mags and it looks extremely modern

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
priteshpatel99 said:
It's a good sign, they've built AV testing mules, that is to say that it won't be too long untill they're released, the fact that no one has pictures of the cars yet is a total miracle!!!
you would be surprised to know how many there are.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
discokin6 said:
I think that the reason behind why Noone has seen the AV Falcons out n about is because theyre so similar to the AU falcons. What i'm thinking Ford is doing is just getting an AU shell, modifying it slightly for the rumoured IRS improvement(s), new motor(s), etc. So to you and I we'll all think its another AU Falcon running around on the streets, while all the bodywork is done behind closed doors..
The original test mules were, AU's with new model equipment, but there have been significant numbers of the real thing built. To give you an idea of how long they have been out there, they have been testing an AV at the testing grounds for almost 12 months.
As has been said, the only thing similar is the doors and roof line, evverything else is different and this is where I stop.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:

As has been said, the only thing similar is the doors and roof line, evverything else is different and this is where I stop.
Obviously you have seen the real thing, and fair enough can't say what it looks like, but you can tell us what you think of it. Will this be the car that will turn things around for ford???

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
originally posted by JEM
Obviously you have seen the real thing, and fair enough can't say what it looks like, but you can tell us what you think of it. Will this be the car that will turn things around for ford???

definitely.

It is absolutely awesome, even though it is the same passenger cell as the AU, it is still so very different.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
originally posted by JEM

definitely.

It is absolutely awesome, even though it is the same passenger cell as the AU, it is still so very different.
Well thats fantastic news.

What was your opinion of the AU when you saw it compared to the first time you saw AV?? What do you think of the interior if you've seen it? Sorry 'bout all the q's, just keen;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts