Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Found On Rubbish Dumps
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was my day off work today, so I went for a run to my local ford dealer in colac and while I was browsing around a certain AU xr8 catches my eye. It was a 2001 series 2 with Herrod exhaust and suspension with not a mark or scratch to be seen. They want $32990 for her which is ball park i think. Anyway, after a bit of a chat with the sales-woman there I took her for a berle!

Something that instantly grabbed me was how the suspension handled all conditions eg potholes, ripples in the road while still being taut enough to prevent too much body-roll. In the handling department it got a solid 9. One area where I was a little dissapointed though was power. I had decided that seeing it was an AU2 200kw with herrods exhaust it should've felt like a jump ahead compared to my stock EB-S XR8 with sports exhaust. But even though the whole package is a little more civilised and quieter than my current XR8 it didnt feel to have much of an edge in power and exceleration-especially on takeoff. All in all though it was an awesome car to drive- you can get as laid back and cruise around or fang it with the best of 'em, not something many other cars can offer!

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
The AU2 XR8 chassis is a highlight - the best car in that department I have ever owned. It's hard to explain, but the 220 engine is a whole lot more than just the extra 20kW.

Pete.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Agreed
Just use a heavy foot, and the revs are always there.
I love the handling of th AU2, it really is a treat

·
Found On Rubbish Dumps
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I chose to test drive this car out of curiosity but the problem now is- I WANT ONE! And without doubt I will catapault myself out my present stable financial situation in order to buy one, out of lust! (as many people have already)

Time will tell but whether it happens sooner or later an AU 2 or 3 XR8 will be my next car, no competition in this price range!

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
If your gonna borrow the $$ go for the 220 kw one, that way you will never say I knew I should of gone for the 220

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Neways there is a bees dick difference between prices of 2001 AU II 200 and 2001 AUII 220's neways.

Biggest problem is finding one in the right colour.

·
Found On Rubbish Dumps
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one i test drove was hot chilli red which would be the choice colour in my opinion. Just one question for you guys- what is it they did to the engine between the 200kw and 220kw versions, cam? exhaust?

·
7,777 Posts
220 had bigger valves, higher comp ratio, bigger cats, 70mm tickford throttle body, different cam, match ported intake, engine oil cooler. Also had standard side skirts, body colour door mirrors and a few other extras in AU2.

·
Found On Rubbish Dumps
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aussie pete- That sounds like a lotta mods just for 20 kw! Do you know what gain it was at the rear wheels over the 200kw version? Thanx for this info, much appreciated!

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
Well after just coming back from the Great Ocean Rd in my AU II XR8,I have to say the suspension is awsome, and the car give's you such feedback that you know where your limit's are,you can tell when the rear is going to step out on you,just superb, I couldn't be anymore happier with the car.and from driving all the way from Apollo Bay to Bendigo and not being tired of the drive is one thing, it's one of those car's that you just want to keep driving.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As the owner of an Au2 Ghia (that comes with a rear suspension that's techinally superior to the current BA's IRS), I have to say it's refeshing to see them being given the thumbs up instead of the finger!

·
7,777 Posts
I can vouch for the fact that an AU2 XR8 with approximately 330kW still does the Great Ocean Rd with great aplomb. Truly a highlight of owning the car. I suspect the product devlopment guys spent a lot of time on this road seeing as it's in their backyard he he he LOL. AP needs a job getting paid to fang these machines down THAT road.

Makes me wonder why the rear end of the Pursuit doesn't give me the same confidence...

·
7,777 Posts
xr8power said:
Aussie pete- That sounds like a lotta mods just for 20 kw! Do you know what gain it was at the rear wheels over the 200kw version? Thanx for this info, much appreciated!
Like I said before it's not just about the extra 20kW. The engine comes alive with a far more willing nature. I don't think I'd ever consider a 200kW version after driving the 220. Then again, I'm of the opinion that a 347 conversion is the baseline :wnc: :wnc: :angel:

·
FFing Festive
597 Posts
xr8power said:
Anyway, after a bit of a chat with the sales-woman there I took her for a berle!
Priceless! On top of which, if you read it too fast it seems like you took of her Berlei. :notwthy:

·
Found On Rubbish Dumps
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Madder- Yeah mate I would have taken the saleswoman for a berle as well if our conversation went much further, she wasnt a bad bird!

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
Or if u read it quick is sounds like u took the sales woman for a berle ;) heheh :hy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts