Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
lens boy
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day guys
Been reading the bull on the GM v6 v 4.0l
So for you FORD people just a pic i've been trying to post on BON with no luck.
And to Mr.polities don't bother this was taken when you were washing cars in your dealer, and not by me.
So hope it starts something new for you guys

Regards spyman
:gok: :gok: :D :eek:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
It's missing two cylinders!!!!!!!
Won't go far like that... :wink2: :D :wink2:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Great to see you on these boards Spyman.
What the hell is that ?- I can see it's a flat 6ix but what??
Who?? Why??
For me??!!:CraZ: :CraZ: :CraZ: :CraZ: :CraZ: :wink2: :WH:

T

·
0 Posts
its not a crossflow motor that's for sure. I'm picking early 80's. how old is that photo.
looks like a repco 6 race engine.

·
7,777 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
its not a crossflow motor that's for sure. I'm picking early 80's. how old is that photo.
looks like a repco 6 race engine.
DOC - I'd have to say it IS a crossflow. The dual ports are pretty standard for DOHC/4 valve engines. There is one port with an injector recess which suggests that we are looking at a dual runner inlet setup. Judging by the dizzy location and block shape, I'm guessing it is a 3.9/4.0 EA-on Ford six. Obviously the prototype DOHC.

T

·
0 Posts
I did'nt see the injection recesse's. too many doubles. so it could be a hi-po engine for development.
why recesse's in the head runners especially on the intake side. that suggests to me an indirect injection.

T

·
0 Posts
XC actually had pre crossflow in cast head till late 80 and crossflow in alloy head, from 79 on. They were destined for taxi's for LPG.

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
It must be a cross flow head - there's no way that the exhaust ports (camshaft nearest the guy) would/could run from that side of the head back across to the side of the head we can see anyway... :D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It looks like the old Kograhl, that the name?, head from a few years back. Also looks to only have 2 valves per pot a-la old Fiat and Alfa Twin Cams. I think the bloke who developed it has one on an AU XR6 ute as a work hack/testbed. Didn't Ford start developing a 24V head for the Falcon back in the ED days? I seem to remember a photo of a cast magnisum, inline 6 twin cam rocker cover that appeared to be the same size as a Falcon engine. I think the Jag inline was just about to be replaced abd besides which was a totaly different size.

·
7,777 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
I did'nt see the injection recesse's. too many doubles. so it could be a hi-po engine for development.
why recesse's in the head runners especially on the intake side. that suggests to me an indirect injection.
DOC; by placing the injectors high in the intake runner, the injector can have direct path to the back of the inlet valve. To do this, the channel is formed in the roof of the intake port. There have been many studies into where injectors should point and this gives the best compromise for precisely metered flow.

If I remember correctly, the XC/XD had a cross flow head in the cast iron configuration too. The alloy head came later in XD when the Honda stuff started. XB had the last of the pre-crossflow with the intake manifold cast with the head.

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
If you're lookig for a testbed, I'd be prepared to put the goods in the ED. Should make for some.....interesting comments, when / if I lift the bonnet.;)

Certainly looks similar to Krogdahl design - though that was originally done for a Xflow, Pic appears to be of 4.0l (water jacket location/timing cover boltup)

Question I'd like answered is why would they make a twin cam 4.0l & still run the TFI distributor out of the pre coil pack EF days???

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Didn't the EL go back to the dizzy? I remember someone saying something about it. Scary I just noticed that I haven't worked on a dizzy for a few years. Heck some of the cars I play with don't even have plug leads!

·
7,777 Posts
Big Block Ford said:
Interesting but a bit old.The XC had crossflow cast iron head.They didn't go that well.The cast iron crossflow ran thru to XD as well.
So I wasn't going crazy... :thumbup: :p

·
lens boy
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good to see some good debate over this pic and for those that know their Motors good on you.
History of this pic is it came from inside back in the days when they were looking to replaces the 3.9lt motor(4.0l) with something that would give them go! hence the fact it still had a dizzy on it and the fact they were looking at Tickford in uk they looked at DOHC as an option on this MOTOR.
So the reason why i posted it was to let you guys know that they have the techno to make this type of MOTOR so don't under estermate them they just need more cash and better design and they may get back on top.

Regards spyman. :D :wink2: :damack:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
Big Block Ford
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing