Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after using their products for many years before, and after nailing a roo in the rental Fairlane a few weeks ago, I tracked down ShuRoo again to find they have launched a new model.

The ShuRoo Mark 3 looks good, is compact, and fits in the bumper openings of Fords and Holdens easily.

I've ordered one for the XR8 so I'll keep people updated. Having used the Mk2 before, all cars we fitted up never hit a roo despite high kms and night time driving. Good stuff! This is one product I know works well.

www.shuroo.com

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
another thing that works is the little ford motorsports flags. (the plasticy ones the ford girls hand out all the time)

When I was up in bathurst, we all put them on the radio aerials, and the sound of them flapping in the wind scared the wildlife away.

also looks cool!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wasnt ther and article in The Age or Herald Sun a few month back about these devices???

From what I recall some people from a university (dont know which one) took a Shuroo out to Healsville Sanctury for testing.

They set it up pointing at some kangaroos and turned it on. Kangaroos stopped eating, turned around look at the Shuroo and continued on eating again. They didnt run.

They also did some noise testing on an open road and found the wind noise to be louder than the Shuroo.

Andrew

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
95ProbeGT said:
Wasnt ther and article in The Age or Herald Sun a few month back about these devices???

From what I recall some people from a university (dont know which one) took a Shuroo out to Healsville Sanctury for testing.

They set it up pointing at some kangaroos and turned it on. Kangaroos stopped eating, turned around look at the Shuroo and continued on eating again. They didnt run.

They also did some noise testing on an open road and found the wind noise to be louder than the Shuroo.

Andrew
Well, what you say makes sense. In my experience the roos look up and STAY STILL which is the exact opposite of what they usually do - go stupid and dart in any old direction. Whilst they are staying still I drive past without any damage.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

Well, what you say makes sense. In my experience the roos look up and STAY STILL which is the exact opposite of what they usually do - go stupid and dart in any old direction. Whilst they are staying still I drive past without any damage.
I hope you are right. I saw a whole front end pulled out of an early Trana by a Roo...
About the only time I was glad to be following another car..

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
95ProbeGT said:

Andrew
I think it was in Drive in The Age.

There were certainly some letters in several issues of Drive , some of which thought the device didn't do much, but also some very strong in support from country driver users.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Everyone I've spoken to about the electronic ShuRoos swear by them. I for one will be putting one on the wagon when I get it next year. Might even leave off getting a bullbar as well.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've found many people that rubbish the product. But when I ask them to describe the ShuRoo they always refer to the little whistle type. They are indeed useless. The electronic version works very well. Trust me, I fitted these units to a fleet of over 20 cars which had an extremely high accident rate. No accidents with roos after fitment. Many close calls but no hits (because the roos don't move suddenly).

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I can't speek for the MK3 but I have MK2 fitted to the front of one of our cars. Switched on and cleaned up a big grey. Wasn't happy I can tell you.

Seeing as you are familiar with the system I won't bother going into the limitations.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HSE2 said:
Seeing as you are familiar with the system I won't bother going into the limitations.
Doesn't everything have limitations? Yes, I know what they are. These were part of the training for drivers in the company I did the work with. The unit requires a different way to driving in some road conditions where the unit cannot work 100%. Another key issue - fitting the unit. Must be done right to work.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just noticed that the Uteman's AU ute uses the 4 head Mk3 ShuRoo. Might check the cost on that type when the wagon arrives. I reckon between the ShuRoo and the Cibies I should be able to avoid hitting any 'roos which would be nice after the suby is known as 'roo magnet. I'm still toying with the bullbar option though, not that stupid ugly "smartbar" from Ford though.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FTEFAN:
The 4 speaker unit is the 4WD/Truck version. I think cost is around $500 versus $389 of standard car version.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the unit. They shipped overnight (damn fast!). Tried fitment ideas on mate's XR8 and it is going to be an easy fit. They are well designed now in the Mk3 versus the old bulky Mk2. Only down side is the speakers are now plastic versus the older units which were cast alloy.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the SMH/Age P76 Awards for Automotive mediocrity:

For creating a modern Polarizer: Shu Roo.
An extensive study by The Melbourne University, funded by national motoring organisations, found the Shu Roo – which costs up to $525 and is supposed to use high-frequency sound to scare kangaroos away from your car – was a dud. It found the device's signal wasn't even strong enough to be heard above the engine and tyre noise, let alone deter Skippy.

The findings were, not surprisingly, denied by the maker, which has flogged about 30,000 examples.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I've got a Pink Elephant scarer fitted on my car, works well, haven't seen one in months....:whiskey:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
In the SMH/Age P76 Awards for Automotive mediocrity:

For creating a modern Polarizer: Shu Roo.
An extensive study by The Melbourne University, funded by national motoring organisations, found the Shu Roo – which costs up to $525 and is supposed to use high-frequency sound to scare kangaroos away from your car – was a dud. It found the device's signal wasn't even strong enough to be heard above the engine and tyre noise, let alone deter Skippy.

The findings were, not surprisingly, denied by the maker, which has flogged about 30,000 examples.
Doesn't explain why so many high profile users swear by them. Anyway that is why I'm going to fit the Cibies and a bullbar as well as the ShuRoo.

·
Australian Ford Member
252 Posts
HSE2 said:

Surely does Depending on the type of roads you drive on will largely influence how well the system works for you.
That's right. Roads without kangaroos - no problem! :s6:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts