Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 mercury Sable 24 valve 3.0 duratec
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these are like 80 bucks, and I've spun 2 in a month. I must be missing something? Lastnite my battery light came on just before I got home ..popped the hood and my pulley shaft was glowing red hot! Does anybody have any idea of why this is occurring?

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
Idler pulley? Was that what was replaced? If so, what's the possibility that the serpentine belt is one size too small?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idler pulley? Was that what was replaced? If so, what's the possibility that the serpentine belt is one size too small?
No its the crankshaft pulley, it screws into the harmonic balancer, I guess I should check what size serpentine belt is on it. The pulley is molded on a shift that is reverse threaded into the crankshaft!

·
Super Moderator
22,064 Posts
Could it be a worn / faulty harmonic balancer causing rotational vibration and stressing on the pulley with subsequent loosening off ? Thus running out of true . No sign of any parts hitting or rubbing ? No wear or damage on crankshaft where it all bolts up and possibly not allowing it not to tighten to proper torque .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had changed alternator and dropped it which might have cracked it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts