Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,415 Posts
Someday our grand kids will say "Grandpa, what's a piston"? I'll tell them they came in a machine that made all the right sounds and stirred the soul. I like my electric refrigerator, but love my 350 R.

·
Super Moderator
1,415 Posts
Back in olden days BDL (before driver's license) we raced slot cars 'cause we had to race something. We quickly found out that if we soaked our foam rubber tires (tyres?) in STP they would stick to the track like glue. We won lots of races, but made a sticky mess of the track, and got banned. The slow guys were happy. After serving our sentence, and with a promise not to "cheat" with STP, we were finally allowed back on the track. Now back to racing we discovered that the stock Pittman motors were slugs, so we rewound the armatures with thinner gauge wire. The cars went like stink, but would only last one race, and sometimes less, before a meltdown DNF! We changed motors every race and still won races, but often "pitted" with smoking motors close to flames. Way cool! However, the track owner didn't think so and we were banned again. And again, the slow guys were also happy. Which gets me to my point. Can I rewind the armature and soak the Mach E Mustang's tires in STP and without getting banned?

·
Super Moderator
20,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someday our grand kids will say "Grandpa, what's a piston"? I'll tell them they came in a machine that made all the right sounds and stirred the soul. I like my electric refrigerator, but love my 350 R.
Even saying you used to be a mechanic nowadays brings a few furrowed brows . They are Technicians , Auto engineers or whatever fancy new title they come up with .Suppose the criminal fraternity and movie makers using the term for a gangster hit man didn't do us any favours either !!

·
Super Moderator
1,415 Posts
It's always good to remind people that are "full of themselves" how they get to work. It's also good to remember how panicked they get when their car doesn't run, then subtlety remind them just how valuable a good "mechanic" is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts