Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ford Veteran
685 Posts
Is it only when braking ? Ever notice the noise at other times ?
How frequent is the knocking, does it change at certain speeds or more brake pressure ?

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Ball joints ???

·
formerly sikEA
2,142 Posts
I have the same problem

I also have a knock going up gutters into driveways

as well as a massive vibration when above 80kays with my foot juuuuust on the brake pedal. Doesnt do it under heavy breaking though

Im sick of chasing front end knocks in Fords. It shits me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the same problem 1st time it was looked at my mechanic just re lubricated the sway bar rubbers , the knocking went away but came back, it has gone back in today and he is going to replace the swaybar rubbers and bush's, will let ya know how i go

·
formerly sikEA
2,142 Posts
I thought that. But apparently they were brand new disks when i bought the car 6 months ago. It used to be terrible, but a wheel balance and alignment eased it somewhat, i mean, it only does it at higher speeds and with only the slightest amount of pressure on the pedal.

Do the steering racks flog out in the EL's like they do in the EA/EB's? Suspension has never been something I have really looked at (never had the fun of pulling it all apart to see how it all bolts together) and bugger me dead if im going to pay someone to fix things for me

Do those 28 point suspension checks from pedders reveal things like stuffed bushes and balljoints? Or do they just tell you if your springs/shocks are stuffed? I wouldnt mind getting some idea of whats wrong, even if half the stuff on there is BS.

I hope this poor car survives another 12 months of neglect when i move to sydney, im not going to have any money to spend on her :(

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
sikEA -
Have it checked out by all means, but the symptons you describe are causd by warped disks.

Rick.

·
formerly sikEA
2,142 Posts
What would cause the disks to warp so quickly? the car didnt do it when I bought it, its only been happening the last 3 months or so...and as I said, the disks and pads were new when I bought it

·
formerly sikEA
2,142 Posts
Definately not the shocks, they are new
Bearings....possibly.
Stuffed ball joint....probably.

Thanks rick.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Take it to a suspention expert.Pedders etc.. They see this every day...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Those Pedders checks are great, the will tell you if your ball joints are stuffed. My AU suffers from a light knock from the front left when coming out of driveways and when coming to a stop when the brakes are hot. I think it's a ball joint, i've heard it's a common fault in the AU's. SikEA, surely your brakes are resonably new but if they were are replaced with the standard items it's possible that they may be warped, if you're hard on the brakes it's even more possible. The original rotors aren't very good, when I brought the AU it had a very slight shimmer at 36,000k's, i replaced them at 60,000 with DBA Slotted Rotors, because they were that badly warped that the pads were only touching about 40% of the disc face.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
71 Posts
ive got a bad knocking from my front right side, everyone thought it was sway bar bush's but it turned out that my steering rack has to come out and be reconditioned as the right side has severe wear on it and is causeing it too move around,
that info might help you?

Cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeh luckily mine is under warranty they reckon 2 day job???
i think they are also expensive to replace/recondition.

good luck Cheers.
Mark

·
Wheelman
147 Posts
It will be your crossmember bolts requiring re-torqueing. I ran over the problem whenI fitted DBA slotted and bendix ultimates on the front of and EL XR8 - the front end would creak braking due to the more efficient braking. My mechanic got the longest ring spanner he could and tightened up all the bolts on the front x-member while on the hoist. Trust me you'll need a long ring spanner to get the required leverage - they're bloody tight.

make sure you let us know how you go.

G

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mines got a knock too. does it under hard braking or going up a kerb and when reversing and turning wheel.
had everything tightened no difference. racks been out and checked operated smoothly ball joints seem good to. the cars only done 80000km and all bushes look like new had a crowbar manipulate radius rod bottom arms etc to check bushes itsgot us all stumped?
its got to the stage i dont want to drive it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you looked at the steering? I think that one of my rattles is in the steering column (one of the joints?) might be worth looking at as a possible solution.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts