Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the talk of shocks, I was wondering, those with them fitted(Konis that is), where did you place the retaining clip for the spring on the fronts?
Three choices, mine are on the lowest with a drop of about 10mm from original height on my EL2 XR8.Looking for fedback from those set differently.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got an EB XR8 with Koni's & like yours its set on the bottom (lowest) ring, working with 30mm lowered springs, looks good, handles well & is comfortable to drive. On the other hand this is what my brothers have done - both have the cradles set on the lowest ring but have had the shocks restroked to suit super low springs (50mm front,60mm rear)- both are ELs (1 XR8, 1 5.0L Ghia.) They look awesome, handle 'real' well & are totally impractical to your average everyday driver - all in all good fun. A word of warning, both cars run big wheels now - 18 x 8s on the Ghia, no hassles but the XR8 has EB GT 17 x 8.5s on the first day learnt how to 'pump' his front guards - result: move the cradle back to the middle ring 10mm clearnce is just enough to stop grab & damage. If you're keeping stock springs or normal lowered (1.2/2 inches) you'll be alright on the lowest setting.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you retain the factory springs at the rear?
I didn't change the springs but wish I had lowered the rear as with the nose on the downhill run, the rear steps out on hard corners to the point that in the wet it is impossible to keep it in a straight line after the apex.(Doing the speed limit of course!)
What offset are the factory GT rims?
I've got a set of Ravens 17 x 7.5 with a positive 13 offset and no problems with guards but sweet fa clearance to the suspension.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll check up the offset figures tomorrow, but I'd assume they are out a fair bit because the EB GT had flares to cover them, needless to say my brother tells me the car came down even more - 60mm front / 65mm rear thats probably (definitely) the reason it hit the guards. 235s might have also played a part. The Ghia has 18 x 8 simmons all round (set in,) sits real low but doesn't rub, as an experiment we tried the GT rims & it did rub so the offset will play a big part in the lowering job. If I were you I'd go for lowered springs 1.5 inches (30mm) are a decent set up & consider a good set of sway bars like in my bro's Ghia, still kicks out in the wet under extreme cornering but controlled opposite lock in a level body can fun. Maybe your tyres aren't up to scratch, we generally run 'good' FALKENS & they're not to bad.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry I forgot to answer your question - No the springs were changed: SELBYs on my XR8, the bros went for 'ryobi'(about 0.5 of an inch) modified super low KINGS springs (2 inches.) Stay away from Pedders, they sag, don't handle as well & in the long run aren't as comfortable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts