Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found the www.krogdahlheads.com site, who, if you dont already know, sells a DOHC head for our 4.0L six. After seeing the feature in Motor mag a few months back where they claim it makes [email protected] I thought it may be a better bang for your buck than modifying an XR8.

How wrong was I!! All it produces is 11RWKW on an XR6(probably even less on a standard 6) for $5500 and not including installation! Yes with some ECU tuning im sure so more power could be extracted but that would equal more $$$$ for a minor gain.

But for about the same amount you could have yourself a supercharger, and instead of a meagre 11RWKW youd have ~240Kw at the engine! Or if the pockets were really deep then combining the 2 could be an option ;)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Hmmm interesting that a DOHC head only making 11kw more at the wheels is about 20kw at the engine. Yeah not real good value although i'm sure with tweaking of the computer you'll get past the 200kw at the fly mark.

Cobiming the 2 options super charger and DOHC will make a falcon a flyer. No complaints about the doey takeoffs then, coupled with a 5 speed. :D :D :D

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
Arrh, I haven't read the street machine article.

I can't blame him for the small increase in power, the engine obviously wasn't even tuned up properly. Also, he isn't a expert engineer, obviously a fantastic machinist, but he doesn't have the expertise or funding to blow your socks off, not with a prototype anyway.

Its a very weird head, alloy, twin cam, twin spark, but still only 12 valves.

Personally I think he may have been on something with going DOHC, it has more of a chance of making the engine smoother than Ford VCT.

What Ford should do is quite simple, develop a 24 Valve SOHC VCT head. Maybe twin spark. And a alloy block. DI wouldn't be a bad idea either.. Increase fuel economy and power.

Yes, keep the 12 valve VCT for lower model cars, the 24 V SOHC VCT DI TS for the xr and upper models.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
IPhido:
At least one of the things you mention has been seen in real life by yours truly on a mule development vehicle! No further hints.

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
I would guess twin spark, to help with that "falcon roughness" that all the magazines complain about. Ford OZ is hardly going to be playing with DI, and 24 valve I don't think is that close.

Twinspark VCT head might lower emissions and increase power to 180. That would be nice..

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
There's a lesson in using abbreviating acronyms in there..... :eek: :eek:

On second thoughts, I have seen something different from those that you mention.

·
Mustang Member
10 Posts
I have looked at the website for the Krogdahl head.

It appears to use alot of the stock inline parts just shifting said parts to a new head design. That would still be 100X better than the integral log head like on my Mustang.

But to be honest I am getting a Oz 250-2v head shipped to me because I cant afford anything else.

·
Ducati Monster
15 Posts
I have looked at the website for the Krogdahl head.

It appears to use alot of the stock inline parts just shifting said parts to a new head design. That would still be 100X better than the integral log head like on my Mustang.

But to be honest I am getting a Oz 250-2v head shipped to me because I cant afford anything else.
Hi, has anyone in the States thought of using a 4.1 crossflow in the mustangs?
the range of intake manifolds = two/four barrel holley and they even did an efi version, and toyed with turbos but never went on the market,a rare triple side draft webber intake combo on a motor is for sale here in Oz. also the range of exhaust manifold/ headers, roller rockers. these heads use the same as standard cleveland rockers. and electronic distributor.
they use the same gearbox/trans patten as the log style 4.1. the only drawback is you would have to use the crossflow block and bolt-on accessories etc. however the up side is the price, as they are everywhere here. i just bought an engine and auto trans for au$275.00

anyway i just wanted to know.
and may be open up a few options to those thinking of upgrading.
thanks everyone, kind regards Andrew from the ute (pick-up) capital of the world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts