Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bentley Le Mans
There have been precious few reasons for Bentley to celebrate recently, but now there's fresh hope. Volkswagen has invested a small fortune in the company, and a return to the Le Mans 24-Hours race - after a 71-year absence - was rewarded with a third place finish.
But stepping up to the Le Mans podium is only one of the reasons Bentley returned to motorsport. The firm wants to raise its profile, and it is not wasting a moment in doing so.

Already, two limited-edition road cars have been built: the Arnage Le Mans Series and Continental R Le Mans Series. Both feature special trim and are finished in a fetching green. Only 150 Arnages and 50 Continentals will be made, all with 18-inch five-spoke wheels and bright red brake calipers.

The lower front wings get vents, while the rear view is enhanced with new bumpers and chrome exhausts. Inside the Arnage we tried is a driver's seat that is as comfortable as any armchair. Door inlays and even the headlining are fashioned from leather, showcasing the trimming skills of Bentley's craftspeople. The hide-finished dashboard and veneered facia feature BMW switches for everything from traction to climate control.

The Arnage's external dimensions are huge; at five-and-a-half metres long and two metres wide, this is one of the biggest cars on the road. However, this isn't translated into interior space. A massive transmission tunnel takes up much of the driver's legroom and the problem is exacerbated by the floor-mounted parking brake.

And this isn't the only hardship: keeping your licence could be a problem, too. As with the normal Arnage Red Label, the Le Mans Series features a turbocharged 6.75-litre V8. While it produces an impressive 400bhp at 4,000rpm, it has an awesome 825Nm of torque, making it the most powerful production saloon in the world. Lean on the throttle pedal and two-and-a-half tonnes of machinery will leap forward with the eagerness normally associated with Porsche or Ferrari. Pressing the Sport button on top of the chrome gearlever allows the V8 to rev higher before shifting up. The engine bellows more raucously before settling back into its quiet cruising mode. Those calipers do a great job of pulling the big car up, while the steering is surprisingly full of feel.

However, if the authorities do catch up with you, rest easy that you'll be able to enjoy life as a rear passenger. Here electrically controlled seats allow you to recline in total comfort. Without a doubt, the Arnage Le Mans Series is a gorgeous example of British craftsmanship at its best. Even if it does cost more than most people's homes at a mighty £154,900, it's not often you can say that about today's cars.

At a glance

* Limited-edition models built to celebrate company's racing return to Le Mans

* Only 150 Arnages and 50 Continental Ts to be sold

* Exterior and interior detailing mark out these machines

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry mate. If I had read your post about your new six speed I wouldn't have name the tread like I did. Hang on, who am I kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I am and proud of it.
Seriously I though it was a good article. I know its not Ford related but it is a great car and worth knowing about!

G

·
0 Posts
400hp ( 294kw ) from a TURBOCHARGED 6.75l ( 412ci ) V8 sounds a bit disappointing don't you think?

G

·
0 Posts
Ah well shouldn't be picky it ain't no sports car but at least it has heaps of torque... handy for pulling tree stumps. :D

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
gtho4 said:
400hp ( 294kw ) from a TURBOCHARGED 6.75l ( 412ci ) V8 sounds a bit disappointing don't you think?
Costing ~ 154,900 quid too!!.. that's roughly a lazy $450,000.. I'll take a TE instead and put the rest towards a nice little beach house!!.. :eek:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bentley's are never cheep, but this one is rediculous. I suspect 800 newtons would change your minds on being disappointing

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ford Man said:
True.. but I'm not silly enough to pay 450 large for it either!!.. :rolleyes:
Well thank goodness no one is asking you to. Generally statements like that come from people who will never have that much money. Tip for you. If you get to see the cars in the fox collection don't make that comment. The owner is just one of those silly people.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
Tip for you. If you get to see the cars in the fox collection don't make that comment. The owner is just one of those silly people.
Mr Fox has the brass to afford a lovely collection of fine cars.. I don't. That's why I wouldn't pay 450 large for a car.
Doesn't mean I can't appreciate a fine auto when I see one.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ford Man said:

Mr Fox has the brass to afford a lovely collection of fine cars.. I don't. That's why I wouldn't pay 450 large for a car.
Doesn't mean I can't appreciate a fine auto when I see one.. :rolleyes:
Yes I know that. But saying it out loud is poor form in my opinion. Attaching a sarcastic face to it adds to the insult.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
Bentley's are never cheep, but this one is rediculous
Poor form for what??.. You've said the price is ridiculous yourself?

HSE2 said:
Well thank goodness no one is asking you to. Generally statements like that come from people who will never have that much money
That's poor form in my books.. You're stating that I can't appreciate a fine car based on my earning ability.. Sorry, but that was just unwarranted..

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To say that one is not silly enough to pay x dollars suggests that people that do are so. That is poor form. You may not be saying that at all but that is how a comment like that can be interpreted. Has nothing to do with not appreciating anything. Generally, (not specifically you) people that make these types of comments are as I stated and that is a fact. You may have your belief that an item is over priced so you don't pay the price, but it is not good to say or slur the people that have and do.
"That much money for a car is just not for me" as opposed to :
"I am not silly enough to spend xxxxxxxx"
Said in the presence of a person that has done exactly that guess which statement is likely to raise his/her dander

"That's poor form in my books.. You're stating that I can't appreciate a fine car based on my earning ability.. Sorry, but that was just unwarranted.."

Well it would be unwarranted if that was in fact what I was saying. Unfortunately that statement is fact but I never said I was applying it to you.

Not saying anything of the sort. Stating that you are not silly enough to pay that much money, is most likely a fact, but people that have spent that much money don't like to hear that sort of comment and will reply in roughly the same way I did. By your use of a sarcastic face you indicated to me that you infact were not appreciating a fine car(however questionable that statement may be).

·
gone
10,402 Posts
HSE2 said:

thanks Ian thats gonna be my new Motto! "I am not silly enough to spend xxxxxxxx".. Ummmm how many time do I have to say it before it works..."I am not silly enough to spend xxxxxxxx"

I'm starting to sound like that Kids train, " I think I can...":nuts: :nuts: