Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.I have a 351w. New electronic ignition,, rotor and cap new intake gaskets, new plugs, new holley 600 lifters all look good. rotor points to #1 on compression stroke. I try to start it and it wont fire. I put gas in the carb wont fire, I put gas in a cylinder roll it over fires on that cylinder only. when rolling over the gas sprays back up out of the carb because it isnt being pulled down to the plugs. pulling my hair out.

·
Super Moderator
20,699 Posts
Sounds as if it could be backfiring through the carb due to the timing / firing order being out . Have had the same on other engines when set up half a turn (180 degrees ) out .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds as if it could be backfiring through the carb due to the timing / firing order being out . Have had the same on other engines when set up half a turn (180 degrees ) out .
That is going to be my next thing to do and see what it does. But the distributor has never been removed thats whats confusing me and my friends also say that. But how can it get 180 out if the distributor hasnt been tampered with.

·
Super Moderator
20,699 Posts
Misread the OP , thought you had replaced dist . Apologies for my mistake . Recheck the firing order and rotation ( after refitting dist . to original setting ).

Cylinder Numbering
  • Front to back
  • 1, 2, 3, 4 on the passenger side
  • 5, 6, 7, 8 on the driver side
Firing Order
  • 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Distributor Rotation
  • Counter-Clockwise

·
Registered
19 Posts
After cranking for a bit, if you pull a plug out is it moist or dry as a bone?

If you look down the carb and have a helper stomp the gas pedal a couple of times, is the accelerator pump squirting gas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts