Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my house mates just bought an SR2.I went int he dealership with him, took one for a test drive, to give him my opinion.Not bad, they handle pretty good, nice tight body, the gear changes were nice, pretty short, and the brakes were firm and didn't dampen after my abuse. The only sore points were the lack of go in the lower rev ranges, and the lack of arm room for someone like me used to larger cars, but otherwise I give the SR2 a big thumbs up. Looks pretty mint, and performance matches, perhaps a little turbo could help things along............mazda are going to turbo the MX5, why not the Laser.......

Jas

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
VilkasMaximus said:
One of my house mates just bought an SR2.I went int he dealership with him, took one for a test drive, to give him my opinion.Not bad, they handle pretty good, nice tight body, the gear changes were nice, pretty short, and the brakes were firm and didn't dampen after my abuse. The only sore points were the lack of go in the lower rev ranges, and the lack of arm room for someone like me used to larger cars, but otherwise I give the SR2 a big thumbs up. Looks pretty mint, and performance matches, perhaps a little turbo could help things along............mazda are going to turbo the MX5, why not the Laser.......

Jas
I've worked with the Laser SR2 and they are a pretty nip little hatch! I never would have imagined the Laser to be a "sporting" kinda car (even though in reality it's only sporting in a cosmetic sense). FoMoCo was actually thinking about handing the Laser over to Tickford to be "tweeked" but Howard Marsden (LEGEND!) stated that although it would be a good idea, he believes the Laser doesn't have the brand image that would translate into the move being a good business case for Ford. I thought "Well, doing it will certainly CREATE the image"....but Marsden didn't dismiss the idea altogether. Just for your info, the Mazda "sports" pack used on the SP20 is apparently very inferior and rides more like a car without tyres when tested!!

·
Ford Europe Wannabe
754 Posts
the Mazda "sports" pack used on the SP20 is apparently very inferior and rides more like a car without tyres when tested!!
What exactly do you mean by this statement?

Also, does anyone know if there are any dedicated aftermarket performance parts for these cars (in particular the SP20)? Eg. extractors etc

·
We Love Greb Murpy
3,022 Posts
Re: Re: Laser SR2

rallyman said:
I've worked with the Laser SR2 and they are a pretty nip little hatch! I never would have imagined the Laser to be a "sporting" kinda car (even though in reality it's only sporting in a cosmetic sense). FoMoCo was actually thinking about handing the Laser over to Tickford to be "tweeked" but Howard Marsden (LEGEND!) stated that although it would be a good idea, he believes the Laser doesn't have the brand image that would translate into the move being a good business case for Ford. I thought "Well, doing it will certainly CREATE the image"....but Marsden didn't dismiss the idea altogether. Just for your info, the Mazda "sports" pack used on the SP20 is apparently very inferior and rides more like a car without tyres when tested!!
I can see this happening with the Focus though:evillol:

·
Ford Europe Wannabe
754 Posts
ford.boy,

I can not see that happening becuase the Focus is a WRC and Ford is keen to spark the sports image with focus. FPV dont have the time or resources at the moment, and with the next generation focus due in mid 2004 (i think) I believe they will do a sports version of that model.

The focus is well known for its handling prowess and, over time, will develop its sporting image further

·
Yeah .... I am here
751 Posts
TURBODOHC - i went to see if genie or pacemaker did some extractors, this was in late march though, and nothing was made for SR2 or SP20, the guy said his list said approx 6 months away

·
We Love Greb Murpy
3,022 Posts
Bugger Me! It's older than me! There've been a few of these going around now.

VilkasMaximus's Last Post
31st October, 2001 10:26 PM

·
Leafspring Owners Club
340 Posts
Worth keeping this one alive as FF's oldest current thread.

Shiiish what were you doing looking back 2 years for a SR2 thread anyway????

·
Ford Europe Wannabe
754 Posts
Far out!! Another thread mined from the depths!
Yeah i thought i would go digging rather than start a new thread

B.T.W- thanks for that XR8FELLA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts