Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The smoke got out of my lighting control module on my 98 Grand Marquis. The local dealer sez it's discontinued of course and it's really really expensive anyways..
He's my question, can anyone here identify the burned part for me? I figure if I had an idea what it was I can solder on a new one ( I've done a bit of PCB soldering on computers)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found out what cooked it, the main ground bolts for the dash were loose, I guess I missed tightening them up when I had the dash out last month to do the heater core.
Looks like the heater fan was trying to ground back through the light circuit and cooked the little guy, I put it all back together and the only thing that isn't working is the high beam indicator...
If you could find out if it is in fact a diode I'd apreciate it
Thanx

·
Registered
97 Posts
thats hard for me to see, but if you can find and trace where that component goes to relating to the black jack, in other words see what the harness wires say, do they say +12 volt, gnd, etc. If you can find a negative and positive on that harness that goes to the black connector, then you would most likely say its a diode if one of them (+ or 1 volts) goes to the burn part. You can also just remove that diode or jumper it and see if things work again. Do note that you must make sure you dont get that short again, cause it will burn the board without a diode. the diode was made to burn up to protect the rest of the components. I dont have the old one anymore, but I will look for it. If I find it I will certainly make a post again on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a used 2004 Marquis few months ago. Found out from Ford that they reimbursed the owner for an lcm replacement done privately in 2013.

Now I have the same problem related to LCM failure. Ford will not replace and/or repair it again as they say it was a one time deal.

Rather than buy another for $400, I am going to replace the relay that is known to go bad, the one at the lower left if you lay the lcm down flat horizontally with the white receptacle pointing out at the upper left.

I have read this should do the trick.

Thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts